Subject: [Uri-review] Request for review of IAX2 URI scheme Registration

From: Ed Guy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:37:19 -0500

Hello URI reviewers,

I am working on "IAX2: Inter-Asterisk eXchange Version 2" 
(IAX2) an application-layer control and media protocol for
creating, modifying, and terminating multimedia sessions over
Internet Protocol (IP) networks.

The current draft is at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guy-iax-02.txt

I would like to solicit early review of the IANA registration
published in this draft and repeated below.

The URI scheme is also utilized by 
"IANA Registration for IAX Enumservice"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-iax-01.txt

Thank you in advance

Ed Guy
mailto:[email-masked]

*****

#START IAX2 URI Scheme Registration

5.1.  IAX2 URI Scheme Registration

   This section registers IAX2 according to the guidelines in [RFC4395].

   URI scheme name:

      iax2.

   Status:

      Permanent.

   URI scheme syntax:

      The "iax2:" scheme follows the guidelines in [RFC3986].

      The general form is as follows:

         iax2:[username@]host[:port][/number[?context]]

         where these tokens have the following meanings:

         iax2: The literal 'iax2:'.

         username: A string used for identification purposes.

         host: The domain of the resource.  The host part contains
            either a fully-qualified domain name or numeric IPv4 or IPv6
            address.  An IPv6 address must be enclosed within brackets
            (i.e., '[2001:db8::1]') as defined in [RFC3986].  Using the
            fully-qualified domain name form is RECOMMENDED whenever
            possible.

         port: The numeric UDP port number.

         number: The name or number identifying the resource on that
            host.

         context: The name of the host partition in which the service is
            identified or processed.

      Examples
         iax2:atlanta.com/alice
         iax2:atlanta.com:4569/alice
         iax2:atlanta.com:4570/alice?friends
         iax2:192.0.2.4:4569/alice?friends
         iax2:[2001:db8::1]:4569/alice?friends
         iax2:whitehouse.gov/12022561414
         iax2:[email-masked]/12022561414

      ABNF Certain values are included by reference from [RFC3986]:

         iax2-uri = "iax2:" [userinfo "@" ]host[":" port][ "/" number[
         "?" context]]

         userinfo = // as specified in RFC 3986

         host = // as specified in RFC 3986

         port = // as specified in RFC 3986

         number = *(unreserved | sub-delims | pct-encoded )

         context = *(unreserved | sub-delims | pct-encoded )

         unreserved = // as specified in RFC 3986

         sub-delims = // as specified in RFC 3986

         pct-encoded = // as specified in RFC 3986

   URI Scheme Semantics:

      An IAX2 URI identifies a communications resource capable of
      communicating using the IAX2 Version 2 protocol defined in this
      document.  Within this document, we refer to IAX2 Version 2
      protocol URI as IAX2.  An IAX2 URI contains enough information to
      initiate an IAX2-based call with that resource.

      IAX2 URIs are associated with server resources to which calls may
      be routed.  For instance, an IAX2 URI may represent an appearance
      on a phone, a voice-mail box on a messaging service, an
      interactive program, a PSTN address or gateway, or any group of
      the above.

      The iax2 uri scheme translates into a location that may be used by
      the iax2 protocol to establish a new call using the uri scheme
      components described in the previous section.  This new call
      function is the only defined operation.

   Encoding considerations:

      IAX2 URI scheme encoding conforms to the encoding rules
      established for URIs in [RFC3986].

   Applications/protocols that use this URI scheme name:

      The scheme is used by ENUM DDDS services to specify resources that
      support the IAX2 protocol.  The IAX2 protocol provides
      application-layer control and media protocol for creating,
      modifying, and terminating multimedia sessions over Internet
      Protocol (IP) networks.

   Interoperability considerations:

      None.

   Security considerations:

      The IAX2 URI Scheme does not introduce any new security concerns
      except that it provides a uniform syntax for describing IAX2
      resources and that, when published, these addresses are subject to
      various denial os service attacks.

   Contact:

      Ed Guy, [email-masked], +1.973.437.4519.

   Author/Change controller

      Not Applicable.

   References:

      Spencer, M., Shumard, K., Capouch, B., and E. Guy, 'IAX2: Inter-
      Asterisk eXchange Version 2,' draft-guy-iax-02 Work In Progress,
      October 2006.

5.2.  URI Comparison

   Some operations in this specification require determining whether two
   IAX2 URIs are equivalent.  IAX2 URIs are compared for equality
   according to the following rules:

   All components of the URI MUST be identical except:

      A host in domain form and in IP address form are considered
      identical if and only if the host name resolves to exactly one

      address record and that address record matches the given IP
      address.

      The port, if omitted, is considered to be the same as the default,
      4569.

      Only the user and password fields are case sensitive.

   The URIs within each of the following sets are equivalent:
   iax2:atlanta.com/alice
   iax2:AtLaNtA.com/ALicE
   iax2:atlanta.com:4569/alice

   iax2:atlanta.com:4569/alice
   iax2:192.168.1.1/alice (if atlanta.com resolves to 192.168.1.1)

   The URIs within each of the following sets are not equivalent:
   iax2:[email-masked]/alice
   iax2:[email-masked]/alice

#END

_______________________________________________
Uri-review mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review