Subject: [Uri-review] For review: the historical "videotex" URI scheme

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:29:23 +0200

[repost - the article didn't make it in the archive:
 <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.uri/1551>]
-----------------------------------------------------
URI scheme name:
   videotex
Status:
   historical
URI scheme syntax:
   "videotex://" login [ "/" videotexservice *[ parameter ] ]
   For details see the historical reference, a <login> was in
   essence what STD 66 specifies as <authority>.
URI scheme semantics:
   For details see the historical reference, the default port
   assigned by IANA is 516.  For a rough idea "videotex" was
   an URI scheme in the direction of "tn3270" and "telnet".
   The "vemmi" URL scheme specified in RFC 2122 for port 575
   was apparently designed to obsolete "videotex" URLs.
Encoding considerations:
   The historical reference does not go into details.  Picking
   an $EMULATION included values CEPT1 (BTX), CEPT2 (Teletel
   latin mode), CEPT2GREEK (Teletel greek mode), CEPT2ARABIC,
   CEPT3 (Prestel), CEPT4, NAPLPS, CAPTAIN, VT52, VT100, VT220,
   and a way for servers to determine the capabilities of the
   client.
Applications/protocols that use this URI scheme name.
   Various Videotex services existed, among them Prestel, Minitel,
   BTX.  In the time of the transition to the WWW client software
   needed to support legacy Videotex services of the corresponding
   providers.
Interoperability considerations:
   HTTP and the WWW were soon more popular than all predecessors
   not limited to Videotex.  
Security considerations:
   See STD 66 for a discussion of the "user:password@" construct
   in an <authority>.
Contact:
   <URL:mailto:[email-masked]> (URI mailing list)
Author/Change controller:
   The historical reference mentions an ETSI TE1 WG, the authors
   later published RFC 2122 on standards track, change control by
   the IETF is good enough for this historical scheme. 
References:
   draft-mavrakis-videotex-url-spec (1996),
   <URL:http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes/videotex>,
   RFC 2122 (vemmi URL scheme), RFC 3986 (STD 66).

_______________________________________________
Uri-review mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review