Subject: [Uri-review] [draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-02] fragment identifiers

From: "Anne van Kesteren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:06:37 +0200

The draft should probably mention fragment identifiers as they can be used with about URIs.

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/

---

From: Joseph A Holsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:58:24 -0500

> The draft should probably mention fragment identifiers as they can  

I had initially thought the same. But it turns out, fragments are not  
part of the URI scheme spec, they are document type specific. Of  
course, I may be reading it wrong.
- Joseph Holsten

As per RFC 4395:
"All URI scheme specifications MUST define their own syntax such that  
all strings matching their scheme-specific syntax will also match the  
<absolute-URI> grammar described in Section 4.3 of RFC 3986." [1]
 From RFC 3986:
4.3. Absolute URI
Some protocol elements allow only the absolute form of a URI without a  
fragment identifier. For example, defining a base URI for later use by  
relative references calls for an absolute-URI syntax rule that does  
not allow a fragment.
absolute-URI = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ]
URI scheme specifications must define their own syntax so that all  
strings matching their scheme-specific syntax will also match the  
<absolute-URI> grammar. Scheme specifications will not define fragment  
identifier syntax or usage, regardless of its applicability to  
resources identifiable via that scheme, as fragment identification is  
orthogonal to scheme definition. However, scheme specifications are  
encouraged to include a wide range of examples, including examples  
that show use of the scheme's URIs with fragment identifiers when such  
usage is appropriate.[2]

1: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395#section-2.2
2: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-4.3

---

From: Kristof Zelechovski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:25:10 +0200

Which also means that RFC2141 should be updated where it prohibits fragment
identifiers in URN URI.
IMHO,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Joseph A Holsten
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:58 AM
To: Anne van Kesteren
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Uri-review] [draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-02]
fragmentidentifiers

4.3. Absolute URI

_______________________________________________
Uri-review mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review