Subject: [Uri-review] fb: URIs?

From: "Daniel R. Tobias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:57:13 -0500

I just noticed that the iPhone Facebook app, when you enable its 
recently-added feature to sync your Facebook friends with your iPhone 

contacts, inserts URIs for each person of the form:

fb://profile/771025267

When you click on such a URI from the iPhone contact section, it 
brings up the person's Facebook info via the Facebook app.

I presume this is a nonstandard, unregistered URI scheme; has any 
attempt been made to register it?

It also appears to abuse the double slash, since what follows doesn't 
seem to be any sort of "authority".

When the contacts are further synced to other programs and systems (I 

have mine automatically syncing in quite a few directions to various 
things both on my PC and on the net), you end up with nonfunctional 
links in most of the places, as no programs that I know of outside 
the iPhone support this scheme; the "use HTTP for everything" crowd 
sometimes has a point.

-- 
== Dan ==
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:03:41 -0800

I've never seen a request to review it, and it doesn't
show at http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html
so I think you're correct that no attempt has been made to
register it.

Frankly, it seems like a URN NID might serve them
better, if the profile IDs are guaranteed to be unique.

regards,

Ted

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Daniel R. Tobias <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review
>

---

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:13:09 -0700

This how the iPhone works when it comes to integration of applications  
and the web. Facebook has done nothing "original" here. And any  
suggestion should be directed at Apple.

EHL