Subject: [Uri-review] Review request: Dial String syntax for the "tel" URI Scheme

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:12:04 -0700

All,

This is a request for the list to review a draft that codifies the
parameters for Dial Strings to be used in an rfc3966 compliant URL.  The
requirements for this draft originated in the IEEE/ISTO Printer Working
Group (PWG) <http://www.pwg.org>.  The PWG is a consortium printer and
multi-function device manufacturers, print server developers, operating
system providers and print management application developers.  Previous
works of the PWG include the Printer MIB (rfc3805) and the Internet
Printing Protocol (rfc2911, rfc2910 and others)  The Working Group in
the PWG that I chair is addressing the modeling of Multifunction
Devices.  In that effort an outbound facsimile (i.e FaxOut) requires a
way to encode Dial Strings in the URL for a destination facsimile
device.

The draft title is "Dial String syntax for the "tel" URI Scheme" and it
can be retrieved from
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zehler-teldial-info-00>.   It proposes
three "tel" URI schemes parameters that cover pre-dialing, post-dialing
and T.33 subaddressing.

I look forward to your comments,

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

> -----Original Message-----

> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 4:06 PM

> To: Zehler, Peter

> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-zehler-teldial-info-00

> A new version of I-D, draft-zehler-teldial-info-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Peter Zehler and posted to the IETF
repository.

> Filename:        draft-zehler-teldial-info

> Revision:        00

> Title:           Dial String syntax for the "tel" URI Scheme

> Creation_date:   2010-04-24

> WG ID:           Independent Submission

> Number_of_pages: 7

> Abstract:

> The "tel" URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) for Telephone Numbers 

> [RFC3966] describes resources identified by telephone numbers.  These 

> resources specify termination points within a public or private 

> telephone network. The termination points are a globally or locally 

> unique endpoint.  RFC3966 does not address the means by which the 

> telephone URI can be used to reach termination point from a specific 

> node in the telephone network.

> This document specifies the means by which the termination point is 

> reached from a specific node in the telephone network. This document 

> specifies how to encode the numbers, symbols and pauses required to 

> traverse the phone network to reach the termination point in an RFC

> 3966 compliant "tel" URI.

> The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:52:00 -0700

Hi Peter,

Has this been reviewed by any of the RAI-area working groups
that deals with SIP?  This group can assist with reviewing the syntax
proposed, which boils down to this section:

Dial-string-params    = pre-dial / post-dial / t33-subaddress
   pre-dial              = ";pred=" 1*(phonedigit /
                           dtmf-digit / pause-character)
   post-dial             = ";postd=" 1*(phonedigit /
                           dtmf-digit / pause-character)
   t33-subaddress        = ";tsub=" 1*phonedigit

   pause-character       = one-second-pause / wait-for-dial-tone
   one-second-pause      = "p"
   wait-for-dial-tone    = "w"
   dtmf-digit            = "*" / "A" / "B" / "C" / "D" / sharp-digit
   sharp-digit            = "%23"

but it seems to me the agreement that "pre-dial", "post-dial" and
"t33-subaddress"
are the right semantic approach is really a matter to be considered
there.  Usually uri-review occurs when that semantic discussion has
taken place; it may, of course, have done so, but a pointer to the discussion
would be valuable.

regards,

Ted Hardie

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Zehler, Peter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> works of the PWG include the Printer MIB (rfc3805) and the Internet Printing
> Protocol (rfc2911, rfc2910 and others)  The Working Group in the PWG that I
> chair is addressing the modeling of Multifunction Devices.  In that effort
> an outbound facsimile (i.e FaxOut) requires a way to encode Dial Strings in
> the URL for a destination facsimile device.
>
>
>
> The draft title is "Dial String syntax for the "tel" URI Scheme" and it can
> be retrieved from
> three “tel” URI schemes parameters that cover pre-dialing, post-dialing  and
> T.33 subaddressing.
>
>
>
> Email: [email-masked]
> Voice: (585) 265-8755
> FAX: (585) 265-7441
> US Mail: Peter Zehler
> Xerox Corp.
> 800 Phillips Rd.
> M/S 128-25E
> Webster NY, 14580-9701
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>> successfully submitted by Peter Zehler and posted to the IETF repository.
>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review
>
>