Subject: [Uri-review] Request for review of draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:26:06 -0800

Hi,

Please review and send us comments on the IPPS URI Scheme and
Transport Binding available at:

  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-01.txt

Summary:

This memo requests IANA registration of IPPS as a permanent URI
scheme - see syntax and semantics in section 4 and IANA registration
in section 12 of this memo.

Background:

This memo is a product of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
Group in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group, as part of their IPP
Everywhere project for mobile, driverless, ubiquitous printing.

  http://pwg-wiki.wikispaces.com/IPP+Everywhere

IPP/1.1 (RFC 2910/2911) uses the IPP URI scheme (RFC 3510) and
supports secure Printer and Job management and Job submission by
upgrading to TLS (RFC 5246) using HTTP Upgrade (RFC 2817).  The
requirement for this TLS upgrade is configured in the IPP Printer object
for a given service access point URI.

An IPP URI is translated by identity (except for IANA well known port
631) into an HTTP URI over the wire (i.e., IPP uses HTTP for its
transport) - per IESG direction when IPP/1.1 replaced Experimental
IPP/1.0 (RFC 2565/2566) - see section 3.2 of this memo.

IPP/1.1 is now ubiquitous (i.e., supported by all network printers shipped
in the last decade).

However, many IPP/1.1 implementations do not support this TLS
upgrade (OPTIONAL for conformance in RFC 2910/2911).  And some
IPP/1.1 implementations don't immediately upgrade at connection startup
(which is non-conforming).

This situation has discouraged the use of IPP/1.1 over public Internet
connections.

The IPP Everywhere project of the IEEE-ISTO PWG requires the use of
TLS for *all* connections.  Therefore, an IPPS URI is translated by identity
(again over port 631) into an HTTPS URI (RFC 2818) - see section 3.3 of
this memo.  IPPS URI values also must use UTF-8 (RFC 3629).

The IPPS URI scheme has been deployed for years in CUPS - the most
widely deployed implementation of an IPP print service - CUPS is the
default print spooler on Mac OSX, Linux, and most UNIX versions and is
also available on Windows and other operating systems.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (Co-Chair of IPP WG in IEEE-ISTO PWG)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-01
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-01.txt has been
successfully submitted by Ira McDonald and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme
Revision:   01
Title:          IPPS URI Scheme and Transport Binding
Creation_date:   2010-12-01
WG ID:      Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 24

Abstract:

This memo defines the IPPS URI scheme and the corresponding IPP over
HTTPS transport binding.  This memo updates the Internet Printing
Protocol/1.1 Model and Semantics (RFC 2911), by extending section
4.1.6 'uriScheme' and section 4.4.1 'printer-uri-supported'.  This
memo updates the Internet Printing Protocol/1.1 Encoding and
Transport (RFC 2910), by extending section 4 'Encoding of the
Transport Layer', section 5 'IPP URL Scheme', and section 8.2 'Using
IPP with TLS'.  This memo complements (but does not update) the
Internet Printing Protocol/1.1 IPP URL Scheme (RFC 3510).

This memo is a product of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
Group in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group, as part of their IPP
Everywhere project for mobile, driverless, ubiquitous printing.

An IPPS URI is used to specify the network location of a secure print
service that supports the IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics (RFC 2911), or
of a network resource (for example, a print job) managed by such a
secure print service.

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:42:49 +0200

Hello all,

Some comments on 
<http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-01.txt>IPPS URI 
draft.

Firstly, where it says:

    ipps-uri =
        "ipps:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ path-absolute [ "?" query ]]

    If the host is empty, then "localhost" MUST be used.

you mention that host MAY be empty. But in this case you need to
make your ABNF correct - like this:

    ipps-uri =
        "ipps:" "//" [host] [ ":" port ] [ path-absolute [ "?" query ]]

But even this form is not correct since RFC 3986 mentions that URI
MUST have hier-part while defined scheme (in the current ABNF)
will be correct even if it is just

ipps://

or

ipps://:631

where, you say, 'localhost' will be used. Moreover, you can simply re-use
the 'authority' and 'path-absolute' rules from RFC 3986.

Secondly, what is wrong with page 8? It is blank - is that intentional?

Lastly, abstract needs to be more brief. I propose the following one:

    This memo defines the IPPS URI scheme and the corresponding IPP over
    HTTPS transport binding.  It updates RFC 2910 and RFC 2911 and
    complements (but does not update) RFC 3510.

    This document is a product of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
    Group in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group.

You may mention all other issues in Introduction (how it is now).

I hope my advices will be useful.

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev

10.12.2010 20:26, Ira McDonald wrote:
> mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Christmas through April:
> From: *IETF I-D Submission Tool* <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review