Subject: [Uri-review] Request for review of draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:12:10 -0500

Hi,

Please review and send us comments on the IPP over HTTPS Transport
Binding and 'ipps' URI Scheme and available at:

  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-02.txt

Abstract:

   This memo defines the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) over HTTPS
   transport binding and corresponding 'ipps' URI scheme, that is used
   to designate the access to the network location of a secure IPP print
   service or a network resource (for example, a print job) managed by
   such a service.

   This memo is a product of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
   Group in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group.

   This memo updates RFC 2910 and RFC 2911.

Background:

This memo is a product of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
Group in the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group, as part of their IPP
Everywhere project for mobile, driverless, ubiquitous printing.

  http://pwg-wiki.wikispaces.com/IPP+Everywhere

IPP/1.1 (RFC 2910/2911) uses the 'ipp' URI scheme (RFC 3510) and
supports secure Printer and Job management and Job submission by
upgrading to TLS (RFC 5246) using HTTP Upgrade (RFC 2817).  The
requirement for this TLS upgrade is configured in the IPP Printer object
for a given service access point URI.

An 'ipp' URI is translated by identity (except for IANA well known port
631) into an HTTP URI over the wire (i.e., IPP uses HTTP for its
transport) - per IESG direction when IPP/1.1 replaced Experimental
IPP/1.0 (RFC 2565/2566) - see section 3.2 of this memo.

IPP/1.1 is now ubiquitous (i.e., supported by all network printers shipped
in the last decade).

However, many IPP/1.1 implementations do not support this TLS
upgrade (OPTIONAL for conformance in RFC 2910/2911).  And some
IPP/1.1 implementations don't immediately upgrade at connection startup
(which is non-conforming).

This situation has discouraged the use of IPP/1.1 over public Internet
connections.

The IPP Everywhere project of the IEEE-ISTO PWG requires the use of
TLS for *all* connections.  Therefore, an 'ipps' URI is translated by
identity
(again over port 631) into an 'https' URI (RFC 2818) - see section 3.3 of
this memo.  'ipps' URI values also must use UTF-8 (RFC 3629).

The 'ipps' URI scheme has been deployed for years in CUPS - the most
widely deployed implementation of an IPP print service - CUPS is the
default print spooler on Mac OSX, Linux, and most UNIX versions and is
also available on Windows and other operating systems.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (Co-Chair of IPP WG in IEEE-ISTO PWG)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434