Subject: Re: [Uri-review] Request to review the 'pops' URI scheme registration.

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:54:55 +0200

Hello all,

Thanks to Alexey and Eric for their comments.  I've just uploaded the 
-01 version of the draft believed to address the issues raised by them.

Firstly, I've completely removed any reference of RFC 2595 in it. and 
added the description of the procedure used for establishing the POP3 
over TLS connection.  Now it reads (Section 2):

>     The 'pops' URI scheme is used to designate the access to POP3
>     [RFC1939] mailboxes that are available via the POP3 over TLS binding,
>     as described below.  The user agent, using the 'pops' URI, should
>     firstly request the password (and the user name, if not given in the
>     URI) from the client, if this is required by the chosen
>     authentication mechanism, and then SHALL establish the TCP [RFC793]
>     connection, begin TLS handshake [RFC5246], open the POP3 transaction,
>     identify itself using the credentials requested before (or use any
>     other authentication method) and then send all the data under TLS
>     layer [RFC5246].

Here, I removed the normative SHOULD for requesting the password and 
moved the TLS handshake stage directly after TCP connection establishing.

Next is the syntax.  I've changed the ':' to '=' in the 'auth' type in 
order not to make the confusion with the 'port' type.  As for the 
'achar' definition, what is put there is 'gen-delims' and 'sub-delims' 
from RFC 3986 except ":" and "=", that are already used.

Moreover, I've made minor editorial changes/  You may see here: 
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-yevstifeyev-pops-uri-scheme-01

Any other comments are welcome.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev