Subject: Re: [Uri-review] FWD: I-D Action: draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-05.txt

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 04:38:53 -0400

Mykyta Yevstifeyev scripsit:

> Sorry for cross-posting to 6 addresses :-); please send
> all your comments to [email-masked].  Note to
> public-iri subscribers: please have a look at Section
> 6.  Note to [email-masked] subscribers: please comment
> Appendix A of the document.  (The link to HTML version:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme.)

It's inappropriate to say that the client SHALL request a password
from the user if none is supplied and the server demands one (and
likewise for accounts).  The client must be free to fail under such
circumstances, as it may be a robot or otherwise not have a user
available.  Likewise with SHALL notify the user, etc.  These should be
changed to MAYs or SHOULDs.

Editorial notes:  Lots of people don't know what "ibidem" means, or even
its standard abbreviation "ibid".  I suggest changing the first instance
to "in RFC 959", the second instance to "below", and the third instance
to "in the <cwd>".

Note error "internalization" for "internationalization", "internalized"
for "internationalized", etc.

Note persistent typo "exmaple.com" for "example.com".

-- 
Do what you will,                       John Cowan
   this Life's a Fiction                [email-masked]
And is made up of                       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
   Contradiction.  --William Blake

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:52:07 -0400

It's been a week and a half since the original message was posted, but
I had to discuss this with the other appsawg chairs, the ftpext2
chairs, and the Applications ADs.

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Sorry for cross-posting to 6 addresses :-); please send all your comments to
> [email-masked].

No, please do not.  This document is NOT to be discussed on apps-discuss.
1. It will not be processed in the appsawg.
2. The ftpext2 chairs have told me that it will not be processed in
ftpext2.  It is not in their charter, and the WG is not interested in
rechartering to add it.
3. The Apps ADs have told me that they will not sponsor it as an
individual submission.

In other words, as an IETF document, this is dead.  There is
insufficient energy and interest in the IETF to hash this document
out.  Please do not continue work on this document.  In any case,
please do not discuss it on the apps-discuss mailing list.

Barry Leiba, appsawg chair

>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>> directories.
>>
>>        Title           : The&#39;ftp&#39; URI Scheme
>>        Author(s)       : Mykyta Yevstifeyev
>>        Filename        : draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-05.txt
>>        Pages           : 29
>>        Date            : 2011-07-24
>>
>>    This document specifies the&#39;ftp&#39; Uniform Resource Identifier
>> (URI)
>>    scheme, which is used to refer to resources accessible via File
>>    Transfer Protocol (FTP).  It updates RFC 959 and RFC 1738.
>>
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-05.txt

---

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:36:31 +0300

> please do not discuss it on the apps-discuss mailing list.

Barry,

I'm very unlikely to stop working on the document.  Anyway, nothing in 
your message disallows me to wait for better times, when the situation 
changes.

Mykyta

> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review
>