Subject: [Uri-review] Request for review of draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:32:36 -0400

Hi,

Please review and send us comments on the IPP over HTTPS Transport
Binding and 'ipps' URI Scheme and available at:

  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-03.txt

Many thanks again to Mykyta Yevstifeyev for his helpful comments on the
previous draft.

Abstract:

   This memo defines the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) over HTTPS
   transport binding and the corresponding 'ipps' URI scheme, that is
   used to designate the access to the network location of a secure IPP
   print service or a network resource (for example, a print job)
   managed by such a service.

   This memo is published by the IETF on behalf of the Internet Printing
   Protocol Working Group of the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group.

   This memo updates RFC 2910 and RFC 2911.

Background:

This memo is published by IETF on behalf of the Internet Printing
Protocol Working Group of the IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group, as
part of their IPP Everywhere [IPPEVE] project for mobile, driverless,
ubiquitous printing.

  http://pwg-wiki.wikispaces.com/IPP+Everywhere

IPP/1.1 [RFC2911] is now ubiquitous (i.e., supported by all network printers

shipped in the last decade).  IPP/2.0 (workgroup), IPP/2.1 (enterprise), and
IPP/2.2 (datacenter), all defined in [PWG5100.12], are now being deployed.

However, many IPP implementations don't support the TLS upgrade (OPTIONAL
for conformance in RFC 2910/2911).  And some IPP implementations don't
immediately upgrade at connection startup (which is non-conforming).

This situation has discouraged the use of IPP over public Internet
connections.

The IPP Everywhere project [IPPEVE] of the IEEE-ISTO PWG mandates the
use of TLS for *all* connections.  Therefore, a given 'ipps' URI is
translated by
identity (over port 631) into an 'https' URI (RFC 2818) - see section 3.2 of
this
memo.  'ipps' URI values also must use UTF-8 (RFC 3629).

The 'ipps' URI scheme has been deployed for many years in [CUPS] - the most
widely deployed implementation of an IPP print service - CUPS is the default

print spooler on Mac OS X, Linux, and most UNIX versions and is also
available
on Windows and other operating systems.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (Co-Chair of IPP WG in IEEE-ISTO PWG)

References:
[CUPS]  <http://www.cups.org>

[IPPEVE]  McDonald, I.  and M.  Sweet, "PWG IPP Everywhere First
           Edition", work-in-progress, August 2011.
           <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippeve10-20110803.pdf>

[PWG5100.12]  Bergman, R., Lewis, H., McDonald, I., and M.  Sweet,
           "Internet Printing Protocol Version 2.0 Second Edition
           (IPP/2.0 SE)", PWG 5100.12, February 2011.
           <
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ipp20-20110214-5100.12.pdf>

[RFC2910]  Herriot, R., Ed., Butler, S., Moore, P., Turner, R., and
           J.  Wenn, "Internet Printing Protocol/1.1:  Encoding and
           Transport", RFC 2910, September 2000.

[RFC2911]  Hastings, T., Ed., Herriot, R., deBry, R., Isaacson, S.,
           and P.  Powell, "Internet Printing Protocol/1.1:  Model
           and Semantics", RFC 2911, September 2000.

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434