Subject: [Uri-review] In WG last call review of URI Schemes rtsp, rtsps and rtspu

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:14:37 +0200

Hi,

There is currently an ongoing WG last call on RTSP 2.0.
The WGLC ends on May 16th, 2012.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis/

22.14.  URI Schemes

   This specification defines two URI schemes ("rtsp" and "rtsps") and
   reserves a third one ("rtspu").  These URI schemes are defined in
   existing registries which are not created by RTSP.  Registrations are
   following RFC 4395[RFC4395].

22.14.1.  The rtsp URI Scheme

   URI scheme name:  rtsp

   Status:  Permanent

   URI scheme syntax:  See Section 20.2.1 of RFC XXXX.

   URI scheme semantics:  The rtsp scheme is used to indicate resources
         accessible through the usage of the Real-time Streaming
         Protocol (RTSP).  RTSP allows different operations on the
         resource identified by the URI, but the primary purpose is the
         streaming delivery of the resource to a client.  However, the
         operations that are currently defined are: DESCRIBE,
         GET_PARAMETER, OPTIONS, PLAY, PLAY_NOTIFY, PAUSE, SETUP,
         SET_PARAMETER, and TEARDOWN.

   Encoding considerations:  IRIs in this scheme are defined and needs
         to be encoded as RTSP URIs when used within the RTSP protocol.
         That encoding is done according to RFC 3987.

   Applications/protocols that use this URI scheme name:  RTSP 1.0 (RFC
         2326), RTSP 2.0 (RFC XXXX)

Schulzrinne, et al.    Expires September 13, 2012             [Page 222]

Internet-Draft   Real Time Streaming Protocol 2.0 (RTSP)      March 2012

   Interoperability considerations:  The change in URI syntax performed
         between RTSP 1.0 and 2.0 can create interoperability issues.

   Security considerations:  All the security threats identified in
         Section 7 of RFC 3986 applies also to this scheme.  They need
         to be reviewed and considered in any implementation utilizing
         this scheme.

   Contact:  Magnus Westerlund, [email-masked]

   Author/Change controller:  IETF

   References:  RFC 2326, RFC 3986, RFC 3987, RFC XXXX

22.14.2.  The rtsps URI Scheme

   URI scheme name:  rtsps

   Status:  Permanent

   URI scheme syntax:  See Section 20.2.1 of RFC XXXX.

   URI scheme semantics:  The rtsps scheme is used to indicate resources
         accessible through the usage of the Real-time Streaming
         Protocol (RTSP) over TLS.  RTSP allows different operations on
         the resource identified by the URI, but the primary purpose is
         the streaming delivery of the resource to a client.  However,
         the operations that are currently defined are: DESCRIBE,
         GET_PARAMETER, OPTIONS, PLAY, PLAY_NOTIFY, PAUSE, SETUP,
         SET_PARAMETER, and TEARDOWN.

   Encoding considerations:  IRIs in this scheme are defined and needs
         to be encoded as RTSP URIs when used within the RTSP protocol.
         That encoding is done according to RFC 3987.

   Applications/protocols that use this URI scheme name:  RTSP 1.0 (RFC
         2326), RTSP 2.0 (RFC XXXX)

   Interoperability considerations:  The change in URI syntax performed
         between RTSP 1.0 and 2.0 can create interoperability issues.

   Security considerations:  All the security threats identified in
         Section 7 of RFC 3986 applies also to this scheme.  They need
         to be reviewed and considered in any implementation utilizing
         this scheme.

Schulzrinne, et al.    Expires September 13, 2012             [Page 223]

Internet-Draft   Real Time Streaming Protocol 2.0 (RTSP)      March 2012

   Contact:  Magnus Westerlund, [email-masked]

   Author/Change controller:  IETF

   References:  RFC 2326, RFC 3986, RFC 3987, RFC XXXX

22.14.3.  The rtspu URI Scheme

   URI scheme name:  rtspu

   Status:  Permanent

   URI scheme syntax:  See Section 3.2 of RFC 2326.

   URI scheme semantics:  The rtspu scheme is used to indicate resources
         accessible through the usage of the Real-time Streaming
         Protocol (RTSP) over unreliable datagram transport.  RTSP
         allows different operations on the resource identified by the
         URI, but the primary purpose is the streaming delivery of the
         resource to a client.  However, the operations that are
         currently defined are: DESCRIBE, GET_PARAMETER, OPTIONS, PLAY,
         PLAY_NOTIFY, PAUSE, SETUP, SET_PARAMETER, and TEARDOWN.

   Encoding considerations:  IRIs in this scheme are not defined.

   Applications/protocols that use this URI scheme name:  RTSP 1.0 (RFC
         2326)

   Interoperability considerations:  The definition of the transport
         mechanism of RTSP over UDP has interoperability issues.  That
         makes the usage of this scheme problematic.

   Security considerations:  All the security threats identified in
         Section 7 of RFC 3986 applies also to this scheme.  They needs
         to be reviewed and considered in any implementation utilizing
         this scheme.

   Contact:  Magnus Westerlund, [email-masked]

   Author/Change controller:  IETF

   References:  RFC 2326

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:40:39 -0700

Howdy,

The registrations below note that there were changes in URI syntax.  I
could not find a summary of
them in 2326bis; can you provide a pointer?

rtsp was already registered in the URI Schemes registry as permanent;
significant changes to the syntax
would probably require minting a new scheme to avoid the
interoperability problems you note below.

regards,

Ted

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Magnus Westerlund
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review