Subject: [Uri-review] request for review: 'acct' scheme

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 20:32:46 -0700

This message constitutes a request for review of the proposed 'acct' URI
scheme, specified in draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri-02. The completed
registration template follows (copied from the IANA Considerations of
the aforementioned I-D).

Peter

###

4. IANA Considerations

   In accordance with the guidelines and registration procedures for new
   URI schemes [RFC4395], this section provides the information needed
   to register the 'acct' URI scheme.

4.1. URI Scheme Name

   acct

4.2. Status

   permanent

4.3. URI Scheme Syntax

   The 'acct' URI syntax is defined here in Augmented Backus-Naur Form
   (ABNF) [RFC5234], borrowing the 'host', 'pct-encoded', 'sub-delims',
   'unreserved' rules from [RFC3986]:

   acctURI      =  "acct" ":" userpart "@" host
   userpart     =  1*( unreserved / pct-encoded / sub-delims )

4.4. URI Scheme Semantics

   The 'acct' URI scheme identifies accounts hosted at service
   providers.  It is used only for identification, not interaction.  A
   protocol that employs the 'acct' URI scheme is responsible for
   specifying how an 'acct' URI is dereferenced in the context of that
   protocol.  There is no media type associated with the 'acct' URI
   scheme.

4.5. Encoding Considerations

   The 'acct' URI scheme allows any character from the Unicode
   repertoire [UNICODE] encoded as UTF-8 [RFC3629] and then percent-
   encoded into valid ASCII [RFC20] as specified in [RFC3986].  Note
   that domain labels need to be encoded as A-labels (see [RFC5890]) in
   order to support internationalized domain names (IDNs).

4.6. Applications/Protocols That Use This URI Scheme Name

   At the time of this writing, only the WebFinger protocol uses the
   'acct' URI scheme.  However, use is not restricted to the WebFinger
   protocol, and the scheme might be considered for use in other
   protocols, such as Simple Web Discovery.

4.7. Interoperability Considerations

   There are no known interoperability concerns related to use of the
   'acct' URI scheme.

4.8. Security Considerations

   See Section 5 of RFCXXXX.  [Note to RFC Editor: please replace XXXX
   with the number issued to this document.]

4.9. Contact

   Peter Saint-Andre, [email-masked]

4.10. Author/Change Controller

   This scheme is registered under the IETF tree.  As such, the IETF
   maintains change control.

4.11. References

   None.

###