Subject: [Uri-review] Review Request of new URI Scheme

From: Kang Su Gatlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 23:10:08 +0000

Hello, I am requesting review for the following URI scheme:

   Resource Identifier (RI) Scheme name:
      ms-settings-power
   Status:
      provisional
   Scheme syntax:
      ms-settings-power

   Scheme semantics:
      Launches the battery saver settings application.
   Encoding considerations:
      None

   Applications/protocols that use this scheme name:
      Battery Saver settings application in Windows Phone.

   Interoperability considerations:
      None
   Security considerations:
      None
   Contact:
     [email-masked]
   Author/Change controller:
      [email-masked]

   References:
      http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/battery-making-it-last

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:11:38 +0200

>   Resource Identifier (RI) Scheme name:

It is not really possible to craft a `ms-settings-power` URI based on
this information, not other than `ms-settings-power:` at least.

>      None

"None" does not make clear whether there genuinely are no issues to
consider or if simply no thought has been spent on the matter.

>      http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/battery-making-it-last

A requirement for provisional registration is "If no permanent, citable
specification for the URI scheme definition is included, credible
reasons for not providing it should be given." The document above does
not seem to even mention the scheme.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Daniel R. Tobias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:37:13 -0400

>       Launches the battery saver settings application.

Is this something for which there really, truly, is a need for a 
separate URI scheme to accomplish, rather than a more general 
"launch-system-settings" scheme which could have parameters for 
starting up various setup functions for a system?

-- 
== Dan ==
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

---

From: Kang Su Gatlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:00:13 +0000

Hi Bjoern, answers inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:12 AM
To: Kang Su Gatlin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Uri-review] Review Request of new URI Scheme

>   Resource Identifier (RI) Scheme name:

It is not really possible to craft a `ms-settings-power` URI based on this information, not other than `ms-settings-power:` at least.

[KSG] There is no additional syntax (consider the trailing colon added).  This will launch the battery saver setting application on Windows Phone via:

Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchUriAsync("ms-settings-power:");

>      None

"None" does not make clear whether there genuinely are no issues to consider or if simply no thought has been spent on the matter.

[KSG] In this case none means that we believe there are no issues to consider.

> http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/battery-making-it-

A requirement for provisional registration is "If no permanent, citable specification for the URI scheme definition is included, credible reasons for not providing it should be given." The document above does not seem to even mention the scheme.

[KSG] I think this is now answered above in the syntax section.  Let me know if you believe otherwise.

--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Eric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:19:42 -0700

Hmmm - as I see it, the primary problem with this request is that it 
seems to confuse a string with the format "xxx:" with something that 
might be called  URI.

The usage given:

suggests from the name that the author(s) of the method intended to 
launch URIs. However, the *only* place that this alleged URI scheme 
might be useful is apparently in conjunction with this particular API. 
So this method is launching strings, some of which have a special 
format. That doesn't make it a URI.

Picking this apart in the literal sense:

  - Uniform - not really - at least not in the sense that it can be used 
in other places where URIs can be found. I couldn't use this in Java, I 
can't use it from my Mac, and and I cannot even use it from a Windows 
desktop.
  - Resource - the abstract resource indicated here seems to be a 
specific application. But it isn't a resource from most places where you 
might find a URI (a web page, an Android phone, an instance of an XML 
document that uses the XML Schema anyURI type)
  - Identifier - Not even sure that what this is identifying is 
consistent over time.

Eric

On 6/5/13 4:10 PM, Kang Su Gatlin wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review