Subject: [Uri-review] Request for Apps Area review of IPP over HTTPs and 'ipps' URI Scheme (19 September 2013)

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:45:56 -0400

Hello,

The IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG would like to request
IETF Apps Area review of our IPP over HTTPS Transport Binding and
'ipps' URI Scheme:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-08.txt

Please note that this document has been already been reviewed on the
IETF URI Review mailing list (and revised accordingly).

This document does NOT specify a new protocol, but merely a transport
binding for IETF IPP/1.1 (RFC 2910/1911) that requires that TLS always
be started *before* sending any HTTP application layer requests - as
opposed to using the rarely implemented HTTP Upgrade (RFC 2817),
a source of security problems in shipping IPP printers (essentially all
network printers for the last decade).

Cheers,
- Ira (co-chair of IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG and co-editor of this document)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434