Subject: [Uri-review] Request for Provisional URI Scheme recordit

From: Ben Beltran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 11:18:30 -0500

Hello,

I would like to submit a request for a provisional URI scheme. The request is located here: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/benbeltran/5fb9f0396037d7f7fc50/raw/68cc526d5eff9d4fd0208493fa90b57db42fb8a8/gistfile1.txt

Thank you

-- 
Ben Beltran

---

From: Eric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 23:24:08 -0700

It is sufficiently late that I cannot give this a full reply, but I see at
least these issues with this proposal.

1) The reference to the Github URL for the specification of the URI does
not strike me as a particularly "stable" URL, at least not for IETF & IANA
time scales.

2) Having quickly reviewed the specifications, this URI scheme seems to be
related to identifying something about an application and its state, rather
than an resource that happens to be used by an application.

3) I don't seen any reason for separating the specification from the
registration request.

4) I read through a whole bunch of text, and never once found a link to
tell me what "recordit" actually is, and what problem it intends to solve.

5) The extremely short "answers" to implied questions for security,
encoding, and interoperability suggest that no substantive thought has gone
into actually answering these questions. There are circumstances where
"unknown" makes sense as an answer, but in the context of registering a
URI, an explanation of *why* the answer is actually unknown is appropriate.

All of the above concerns come before even dealing with the merits of the
underlying URI proposal - for which I'm dubious. This is a bunch of data
being crammed into a string - why does it need to be a URL?

Eric.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Ben Beltran <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to submit a request for a provisional URI scheme. The request
> is located here:
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/benbeltran/5fb9f0396037d7f7fc50/raw/68cc526d5eff9d4fd0208493fa90b57db42fb8a8/gistfile1.txt
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Ben Beltran
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Uri-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review
>
>