Subject: OIDs changing

From: "Petke, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:10:39 -0500

> Well, yes and no.  In theory, each OID goes with a name so if the name
> changes, the OID is supposed to change.

Not so.  The OID that belonged to CompuServe now belongs to WorldCom
Advanced Networks.  (I'm one name change behind, BTW, we're now MCI WorldCom
Advanced Networks.)  The trick is NOT to tie a company name to the OID.  All
CompuServe ever had was a numeric OID, not an alphanumeric/numeric pair.
Each time the company has changed it's name I just update the name of the
owner in ANSI's files.

Further, even if we were no longer allowed to issue new OID off of an old
tree, ANSI would never re-issue the old number.  Any URL schemes generated
off of that old OID would still be valid and unique.

All this aside, as Ian has mentioned, the OID scheme name plan is no longer
in the draft.

Rich Petke ([email-masked])
Product Development (pd.inhouse.wcom.net)
MCI WorldCom Advanced Networks (www.wcom.net)
5000 Britton Road
P. O. Box 5000
Hilliard, OH 43026-5000
Voice: +1-614-723-4157
FAX: +1-614-723-8407