Subject: RE: Ping

From: Ian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:36:32 -0800

Touche, sir.  The fact that there are those who ignore the "rules" doesn't
invalidate the rules.  IETF is not in the business of making "rules" just
for the sake of having them, and it invites everyone to participate in the
decision process.  

So let's assume that someone WILL care about these guidelines and
recommendations and documents, and do the best job we can at making them
useful.  I really appreciate everyone's input to that end.  Keep it coming!
-- Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig A. Finseth [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 1:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ian King; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Ping

   Why do we have to bother?

   The reality is that people use new URL names without bothering
   to register them to IANA.

   IETF has lost the control because it tried to make the registration
   restrictive.

Because there are a few of us who do actually try to follow the rules...?

Craig