Subject: Protocol Action: Registration Procedures for URL Scheme Names to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:47:55 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts:

o Registration Procedures for URL Scheme Names 
  <draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-08.txt> as a BCP.

o Guidelines for new URL Schemes <draft-ietf-urlreg-guide-05.txt> as an
  Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Uniform Resource Locator
Registration Procedures Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
The paper specifies how to register a new scheme for URL's, and more
especially how scheme names are allocated. A registration process is
needed to ensure that the names of all such new schemes are
guaranteed not to collide.  Further, the registration process ensures
that URL schemes intended for widespread, public use are developed in
an orderly, well-specified, and public manner.

Working Group Summary

There were some discussions about if this document should also
include definitions for other trees than the IETF one. The discussion
was long, and no consensus could be reached. A descision was then
made to only talk about the IETF tree, and then "Alternative trees",
and consensus was reached.

Protocol Quality

Patrik Faltstrom has reviewed the paper for the IESG.