Subject: URN Registration Request

From: Wataru KAMEYAMA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:35:09 +0900 (JST)

Dear URN-NID,

On behalf of the TV-Anytime Forum (http://www.tv-anytime.org/), I'm
sending a request to allocate the "tva" URN namespace to the Forum
specifications.  Attached please find the proposed text.  Because the
adoption of the Forum specifications as ETSI standards is being on the
way, we don't know the ETSI standard numbers yet.  Therefore, it's
written as "XXXX" in the following text.  Once the numbers are fixed,
we'll replace it as soon as possible.

Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

** Wataru KAMEYAMA
** Graduate School of Global Information and Telecommunication Studies
** Email: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                A URN Namespace for The TV-Anytime Forum

Status of this Memo

Copyright Notice

Abstract

   This document describes a Uniform Resource Name (URN) namespace that
   is engineered by the TV-Anytime Forum for naming persistent resources
   published by the TV-Anytime Forum including the TV-Anytime Forum
   Standards, XML (Extensible Markup Language) Document Type
   Definitions, XML Schemas, Namespaces, and other documents.

1. Introduction

   The TV-Anytime Forum produces many kinds of documents:
   specifications, working documents, schemas, etc. that currently being
   considered for adoption by many standardization bodies such as ETSI
   (European Telecommunication Standardization Institute), DVB (Digital
   Video Broadcasting), ARIB (Association of Radio Industries and
   Businesses) and ATSC (Advance Television Systems Committee).

   The TV-Anytime Forum wishes to provide global, distributed,
   persistent, location-independent names for these resources.

2. Specification Template

   Namespace ID:

      "tva" requested.

   Registration information:

      Registration Version Number: 1
      Registration Date: 2003-MM-DD

   Declared registrant of the namespace:

      Name:        Wataru KAMEYAMA
      Title:       Vice Chairman and Secretary, The TV-Anytime Forum
      Affiliation: Graduate School of Global Information
                   and Telecommunication Studies, Waseda University
      Address:     1-3-10 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
                   169-0051, JAPAN
      Phone:       +81 3 5286 9852
      Email:       [email-masked]

Kameyama                                                        [Page 1]

Draft                                                           July 2003

   Declaration of structure:

      The Namespace Specific String (NSS) of all URNs assigned by the
      TV-Anytime Forum will have the following hierarchical structure:

                  urn:tva:{category}:{string}

      where the "category" is a US-ASCII string that conforms to URN
      syntax requirements ([RFC2141]), and "{string}" is a string that
      confirms to URN syntax requirements ([RFC2141]).

   Relevant ancillary documentation:

      The TV-Anytime Forum specifications have been publicly available
      at all stages during their development from
      "ftp://tva:[email-masked]/Specifications/".  The final
      specifications are now available as formal ETSI (European
      Telecommunication Standardization Institute) technical
      specification document XXXX.

   Identifier uniqueness considerations:

      The TV-Anytime Forum shall establish unique identifiers as
      appropriate.

      Uniqueness is guaranteed as long as the assigned "{category}" is
      never reassigned for another categories.  The TV-Anytime Forum is
      responsible for this.

   Identifier persistence considerations:

      The TV-Anytime Forum is committed to maintaining the accessibility
      and persistence of all resources that are officially assigned URNs
      by the organization.  Persistence of identifiers is dependent upon
      suitable delegation at the level of "category"s, and persistence
      of category assignment.

   Process of identifier assignment:

      All the assignments of identifiers are fully controlled and
      managed by the TV-Anytime Forum.

   Process of identifier resolution:

      The namespace is not listed with an RDS; this is not relevant.

   Rules for Lexical Equivalence:

Kameyama                                                        [Page 2]

Draft                                                           July 2003

      The "{category}" is case-insensitive.  Thus, the portion of the
      URN:

                  urn:tva:{category}:

      is case-insensitive for matches.  The remainder of the identifier
      shall be considered case-sensitive, and so URNs are only lexically
      equivalent if they are also lexically identical in the remaining
      {string} field.

   Conformance with URN Syntax:

      No special considerations.

   Validation mechanism:

      Validation shall be done by a syntax grammar corresponding to each
      "{category}".

   Scope:

      Global.

3. Examples

   The following examples are not guaranteed to be real.  They are
   provided for pedagogical reasons only.

         urn:tva:metadata:2002
         urn:tva:metadata:cs:IntentionCS:2002
         urn:tva:metadata:cs:ActionTypeCS:2002
         urn:tva:rmp:tvax

4. Security Considerations

   There are no additional security considerations other than those
   normally associated with the use and resolution of URNs in general.

References

   [RFC2141] Moats, R., "URN Syntax", RFC 2141, May 1997

Author Address

   Wataru KAMEYAMA
   1-3-10 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 169-0051, JAPAN

Kameyama                                                        [Page 3]

Draft                                                           July 2003

   Phone: +81 3 5286 9852
   Email: [email-masked]

Kameyama                                                        [Page 4]