Subject: RE: draft-rushing-s1000d-urn-00.txt

From: "Sean Rushing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:56:30 -0700

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback.  Have just been trying to get this into the ID list
and it has finally been posted so I apologies for the response delay.

1.) The name is a bit long for the expansion in the ID title, Aerospace and
Defence Industries Association of Europe.  I do expand on first usage in the
Introduction.

2.) The underscores and dashes are the format defined by the specification.
Unfortunately this is legacy format issue and most resources are already
coded this way.

3.) I would agree with you here, but the specification committee has allowed
this as part of the coding structures.  The requirement comes from the fact
that these items are different unique resources, where you might want to
request issue 001 or 002 depending on the configuration of your system.  A
non issue request is assumed to be the latest available to the system.  

For languages you are correct and you would have to specify the issue and
language to ensure you get the same issue of the information between
languages.  In a production environment having all languages at the same
issue should be enforced, although in reality this may not always be true.

Thanks again,

Sean 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
   Sean Rushing  .  Inmedius S1000D Products and Services
      [email-masked] -- phone 520.747.3955
          Inmedius, Inc.  .  www.inmedius.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 6:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-rushing-s1000d-urn-00.txt

suggestions:

1) you should expand the abbreviation "ASD" in the title and abstract, 
and perhaps also at the first mention in the body text.

2) unless you are already using this syntax in practice, I would advise 
against mixing underscore (_) and dash (-) as many people seem to get 
these confused, particularly when transcribing to or from paper.  I 
suggest substituting some other non-alphanumeric character for underscore.

3) more generally you might want to avoid encoding issue and language 
notations in the URN. Embedding semantic information in a URN can 
create a tendency for users to make associations between one URN and 
another that can harm the persistence of the URN.  For instance, users 
might tend to assume that a URN of the form urn:s1000d:xxxx_l-en and 
another of the form urn:s1000d:xxxx_l-fr differ only in their language, 
when this is not necessarily true - particularly if the different 
language versions are revised at different times or frequencies, or the 
work is written in a "primary" language and translated into "secondary" 
languages in such a way that the "primary" is more authoritative.

***********************************************************************
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and document(s) attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and contains confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If the recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this email or its contents in any way.
***********************************************************************