Subject: Submission for urn namespace

From: FX Nuttall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:35:46 +0100

Dear Sir, Madam,

You will find attached a formal urn submission form sent to you by 
CISAC, Registration Autority for JTC1/SC29/WG11 (MPEG).

I remain at your disposal for any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

FX Nuttall

-- 
FX Nuttall
IT consultant
CISAC (International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers)
Geo:  20/26, boulevard du Parc - 92200 Neuilly sur Seine - FRANCE
Tel:  +33 (0) 1 55 62 08 56
Cell: +33 (0) 6 25 57 60 61
@:    [email-masked] 

                                                               FX NUTTALL 
Internet Draft                                                      CISAC
Expires: July 2006                                       January 25, 2006 

                     mpegra URN Definition 
                 draft-nuttall-urn-mpegra-01.txt 

Status of this Memo 

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that any applicable 
   patent or other IPR claims of which I am aware have been disclosed, 
   and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in accordance with 
   RFC 3668. 

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering 
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that 
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts. 

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months 
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any 
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference 
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress." 

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt 

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 

   This Internet-Draft will expire on July 25, 2006. 

Copyright Notice 

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).  All Rights Reserved. 

Abstract 

   ISO JTC1/SC29/WG11 has published the MPEG-21 Digital Item Identification (DII)
   standard (ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003). This part of the standard defines Digital Items
   Identifiers as URIs. A registration Authority has been appointed to guarantee uniqueness
   of the registered identfiers.
   This document is the definition of the formal Uniform Resource Name (URN)
   Namespace Identifier (NID) for DIIs.  

Conventions used in this document 

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119. 

 
Nuttall                  Expires July 25, 2006                [Page 1] 
 
Internet-Draft           mpegra URN Definition            January 2006 

Table of Contents 

   1. URN Namespace Definition Template..............................2 
      1.1. Namespace ID:.............................................2 
      1.2. Registration Information:.................................2 
      1.3. Declared registrant of the namespace:.....................2 
      1.4. Declaration of structure:.................................3 
   The identifier structure is as follows:...........................3 
      1.5. Relevant ancillary documentation:.........................3 
      1.6. Identifier uniqueness considerations:.....................3 
      1.7. Identifier persistence considerations:....................3 
      1.8. Process of identifier assignment:.........................3 
      1.9. Process for identifier resolution:........................3 
      1.10. Rules for Lexical Equivalence:...........................3 
      1.11. Conformance with URN Syntax:.............................3 
      1.12. Validation mechanism:....................................4 
      1.13. Scope: Global............................................4 
   2. Formal Syntax..................................................4 
   3. Security Considerations........................................4 
   4. Namespace Considerations.......................................4 
   5. Community Considerations.......................................4 
   6. IANA Considerations............................................5 
   7. References.....................................................5 
      7.1. Normative References......................................5 
      7.2. Informative References....................................5 
   Author's Addresses................................................5 
   Intellectual Property Statement...................................5 
   Disclaimer of Validity............................................5 
   Copyright Statement...............................................5 
   Acknowledgment....................................................5 
    
1. URN Namespace Definition Template 

   The following template is provided in accordance with [RFC3406]. 

1.1. Namespace ID: 

   mpegra 

1.2. Registration Information: 

   Version: 1 

   Date: 2006 01 25 

1.3. Declared registrant of the namespace: 

   Name:    CISAC (international Confederation of Societies
		of Authors and Composers)
   Address: 20-26 Blvd du Parc, 92200 Neuilly sur Seine - France 

   Contact: Mr. Eric Baptiste, Director General 

 
Nuttall                  Expires July 25, 2006                [Page 2] 
    
Internet-Draft           mpegra URN Definition           January 2006 

1.4. Declaration of structure: 

   The identifier structure is as follows: 

      URN:MPEGRA:DII:<ID> 

   Where <MPEGRA> is the target namespace for an mpeg registration authority.
   The <DII> namespace will be assigned by CISAC to all registrants willing to 
   use an identifier within the DII specification (ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003).
   <ID> are RFC2141 conformant identifiers managed by a registration
   authority and are further constrained by their repsective specification. 
   Some Examples are : 

      URN:MPEGRA:DII:ISWC:T-034.524.680-1

	In this example <ISWC> uniqueness is guaranteed by the JTC1/SC29 DII registration Authority (CISAC)
	and <T-034.524.680-1> is defined in [ISO15707], is compliant with RFC2141 and its 
	uniqueness is guaranteed by the JTC1/SC9 ISWC registration Authority (CISAC)

	URN:MPEGRA:DII:ISRC:FR-Y03-03-00400
	In this example <ISRC> uniqueness is guaranteed by the JTC1/SC9 DII registration Authority (CISAC)
	and <FR-Y03-03-00400> is defined in [ISO3901:2001], is compliant with RFC2141 and its 
	uniqueness is guaranteed by the ISRC registration Authority (IFPI) and its affiliated members.

1.5. Relevant ancillary documentation: 

   DII, its syntax, uses and its processes are defined in [ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003]. 

1.6. Identifier uniqueness considerations: 

   Namespace uniqueness is guaranteed by the ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC29 DII Registration Authority. 
   Uniqueness of subsequent identifiers is guaranteed by the respective Registration Authorities
   dor these identifiers.

1.7. Identifier persistence considerations: 

   Persistence is guaranteed by ISO Registration Authority processes.

1.8. Process of identifier assignment: 

   The details of the assignment process are defined from time to time 
   by the DII Registration Authority.
   Registrants will contact the Registration Authority through a dedicated website
   (http://www.mpegra.org). Registrants are required to provide a valid urn for use
   of their identifier within the DII specificiation. Registrants will have the option
   of using the <mpegra> namesapce to reference their identifiers.
   Registrants may declare their own URNs (e.g. urn:ISBN as defined in [RFC3187].
   The DII Registration Authority will ensure that registrants are compliant with 
   [RFC2141] and provide processes to ensure identifiers uniqueness.

1.9. Process for identifier resolution: 

   MPEGRA identifiers are resolved by a direct or indirect lookup within the 
   respective Regsitration Authority of the registrants for <IDs>.

1.10. Rules for Lexical Equivalence: 

   The MPEGRA-NSS and DII sub-namspace are unique by the nature of the 
   mpeg DII registration authority.  The MPEGRA-NSS and DII are case-insensitive.
   Upper and lower case characters are treated as identical. 

1.11. Conformance with URN Syntax: 

   No special considerations. The syntax is fully conformant with 
   [RFC2141]. 

 
Nuttall                  Expires July 25, 2006                [Page 3] 
    
Internet-Draft           MPEGRA URN Definition             January 2006 

1.12. Validation mechanism: 

   In most cases, check digits provide syntax integrity. Lookup is via online
   and offline services provided by the respective <ID> Registration Authorities. 

1.13. Scope: Global. 

2. Formal Syntax 

   The DII reference XML sceham is published at 
   http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/MPEG-21_schema_files/dii/dii.xsd

   The following text specificies the formal syntax of DII. This syntax here
   is derived from the syntax definition in [ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003], 
   constrained to prohibit the space character as a separator. 

<MPEGRA> 	::= <DII> ":" <ID> ":" <value>

<DII>		::= <upper> | <lower>
<ID>		::= <let-num>
<value>		::= <let-num> "-" <check>
<check>     	::= <let-num>

Note: The exact syntax of <value> may vary from one identifier to another.  
<let-num>, <upper> and <lower> are defined in [RFC2141].

3. Security Considerations 

   This document only defines the syntax and resolution authority for 
   the mpegra and DII namespaces. Details of the resolution process and 
   the security of the assignment and resolution system processes are defined 
   external to this document either by the DII Registration Authority or an <ID> 
   Registration Authority and thus is outside the scope of this document. 

4. Namespace Considerations 

   In order to ensure uniqueness of its identification Scheme, MPEG 
   (ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC29/WG11) has designated CISAC as its Registration
   Authority. DII beings URIs, by definition, CISAC needs to offer a unique
   urn namespace for all entities wiling to use identifiers within MPEG-21.
   
   MPEGRA has been chosen as a generic namespace for an mpeg Registration
   Authority. The DII namespace is used to clearly identify the urn as being
   a Digital Item identifier
   
5. Community Considerations 

   MPEG-21, of which DII is a part, is a multimedia framework, in the broadest
   sense of the term. Contributors range from the Telecom, consumer electronics, 
   media industries as well as academics.
   DII being a Digital Item Identifier it is anticipated that it will broadly 
   adopted by the media Industry.

 
Nuttall                  Expires July 25, 2006                [Page 4] 
   
Internet-Draft           MPEGRA URN Definition              January 2006 

6. IANA Considerations 

   This document defines a URN NID registration that is to be entered 
   into the IANA registry of URN NIDs. It specifically requests the NID, 
   "MPEGRA". 

7. References 

7.1. Normative References 

   [RFC2141] IETF RFC 2141, URN Syntax, May 1997  

   [ISO/IEC 21000-3:2003] Information Technology — Multimedia Framework 
   - MPEG-21 Part 3: Digital Item Identification.

7.2. Informative References 

   [RFC3406] IETF RFC 3406, Uniform Resource Names (URN) Namespace 
   Definition Mechanisms, October 2002. 

Author's Addresses 

   FX NUTTALL
   CISAC 
   20-26 Boulevard du Parc
   92200 Neuilly sur Seine
   France
       
   Email: [email-masked]
    
Intellectual Property Statement 
   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any 
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to 
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in 
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights 
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has 
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information 
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be 
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79. 

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any 
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an 
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of 
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this 
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at 
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr. 

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any 
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary 
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement 
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at 
   [email-masked].  By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that 
   any applicable patent or other IPR claims of which I am aware have 
   been disclosed, and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in 
   accordance with RFC 3668. 

 
Nuttall                  Expires July 25, 2006                [Page 5] 
    
Internet-Draft           MPEGRA URN Definition              January 2006 

Disclaimer of Validity 

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an 
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS 
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET 
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, 
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE 
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED 
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 

Copyright Statement 

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).  This document is subject 
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and 
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights. 

Acknowledgment 

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the 
   Internet Society.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:20:31 -0500

For this request -- I am unable to find the document in the
IETF Internet-Draft repository.  Could you please provide
the exact pointer, or make sure to submit the document
there if you have not already done so[*].

Best regards,
Leslie.

[*] See http://www.ietf.org/ID.html

FX Nuttall wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>                                                                FX NUTTALL 
> Internet Draft                                                      CISAC