Subject: Is URN:UL allowable NID?

From: "Thomas Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:11:44 -0400

The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers is investigating
the registration of URN:UL for Universal Labels (as defined by ANSI /
SMPTE 298M-1997).

While it is clear from RFC 3406 that two-letter NIDs that are Country
Codes are reserved, "UL" is not a two-letter ISO 3166-1 Country Code.

So is URN:UL an allowable NID?

Thomas Edwards
[email-masked]
Senior Manager, Interconnection Engineering PBS
6453 Stephenson Way
Alexandria, VA 22312
(703) 739-5270

___________________________________________________________________
 
CURIOUS GEORGE joins
CLIFFORD, DRAGON TALES and IT’S A BIG BIG WORLD – 
Together, back-to-back in one place - PBS KIDS.
Starts Labor Day.   pbskids.org/curiousgeorge
___________________________________________________________________
 _________________________________________________________________

This email may contain material that is confidential or proprietary to PBS and is intended solely for use by the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance or distribution of such material by others, or forwarding of such material without express permission, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and destroy all copies.
__________________________________________________________________

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:27:02 -0400

Thomas,
   Not really since its more than possible that the UN could assign UL 
in the near future. If you look at the proliferation of small nations 
like Touvaloo and St. Kitts its easy to see that the UN will need all of 
their two letter country codes. We would really hate to get in a 
situation where UL is given out as a URN NID and then the UN assigns 
that as a country code. I've seen some of the country code level 
politics and the nationalism gets pretty scary really quick.

-MM