Subject: proposed "xmpp" NID

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:11:35 -0700

The following NID template is extracted from an Internet-Draft I just
submitted to the Secretariat; until the I-D is published, you may find
it here:

http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-urn-00.txt
http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-urn-00.html

Review from folks on this list would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/psa

******

   Namespace ID:

      The Namespace ID "xmpp" is requested.

   Registration Information:

      Version 1
      Date: <when submitted>

   Declared Registrant of the Namespace:

      Registering organization
         Organization: Jabber Software Foundation
         Address: P.O. Box 1641, Denver, CO 80201 USA

      Designated contact
         Role: XMPP Registrar
         Email: [email-masked]

   Declaration of Syntactic Structure:

      The Namespace Specific String (NSS) of all URNs that use the
      "xmpp" NID shall have the following structure:

         urn:xmpp:{ShortName}:{SubName}

      The keywords have the following meaning:

         (1) the "ShortName" is a US-ASCII string that conforms to
         the URN syntax requirements (see RFC 2141) and defines a
         particular protocol or format that is used as an XMPP
         extension

         (2) the "SubName" is a US-ASCII string that conforms to
         the URN syntax requirements (see RFC 2141) and defines a
         particular subset of the relevant protocol or format.

      The JSF's XMPP Registrar function shall be responsible for
      managing the assignment of both "ShortName" and "SubName"
      strings and maintaining a registry of resulting namespaces
      at <http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/namespaces.html>.  The
      XMPP Registrar may also assign URNs in sub-trees below the
      level of the ShortName or SubName as needed for use in various
      XMPP extensions.

   Relevant Ancillary Documentation:

      Information about the JSF's XMPP Registrar function can be
      found at <http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/>.

   Identifier Uniqueness Considerations:

      The XMPP Registrar is already responsible for managing the
      assignment of XML namespace names of the form
      "http://jabber.org/protocol/{ShortName}" and
      "http://jabber.org/protocol/{ShortName}#{SubName}"
      (e.g., "http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub" and
      "http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info").  If the "xmpp"
      NID is approved, the XMPP Registrar shall simply modify the
      syntax of the namespace names it assigns from
      "http://jabber.org/protocol/{ShortName}" and
      "http://jabber.org/protocol/{ShortName}#{SubName}" to
      "urn:xmpp:{ShortName}" and "urn:xmpp:{ShortName}:{SubName}".

      The XMPP Registrar is shall ensure the uniqueness of all
      ShortName strings and of all SubName strings within the
      context of a given ShortName through checking such names
      against the list of existing namespace names (this process
      is not currently documented, but documentation may be added
      to XEP-0053, which is the controlling specification for the
      XMPP Registrar).  It is envisioned that the XMPP Registrar
      shall in all cases directly ensure the uniqueness of the
      assigned strings and that the XMPP Registrar shall not assign
      secondary responsibility for management of any sub-trees.
      However, the XMPP Registrar may assign URNs in sub-trees below
      the level of the ShortName or SubName as needed for use in
      various XMPP extensions.

      The resulting URNs shall not be re-assigned.

   Identifier Persistence Considerations:

      The XMPP Registrar shall provide clear documentation of the
      registered uses of the "xmpp" NID in the form of XMPP
      Extension Protocol (XEP) specifications published at
      <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/> as well as a
      registry of the registered namespaces themselves at
      <http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/namespaces.html>.

   Process of Identifier Assignment:

      The XMPP Registrar's processes for ShortName and SubName
      assignment are not currently documented, but such strings
      are typically generated by the author of the relevant XMPP
      Extension Protocol specification and checked by the XMPP
      Registrar against the list of existing namespace names to
      ensure relevance, memorability, and uniqueness
      (documentation of this process may be added to XEP-0053,
      which is the controlling specification for the XMPP
      Registrar).  Assignment of URNs within the "xmpp" tree is
      reserved to the Jabber Software Foundation, specifically
      to its XMPP Registrar function as specified in XEP-0053.

   Process for Identifier Resolution:

      The namespace is not listed with a Resolution Discovery
      System.

   Rules for Lexical Equivalence:

      No special considerations; the rules for lexical
      equivalence specified in RFC 2141 apply.

   Conformance with URN Syntax:

      No special considerations.

   Validation Mechanism:

      None specified.

   Scope:

      Global.

******

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 12:03:20 -0500

This registration looks fine to me!

-MM

-- 
Michael Mealling                         Refactored Networks, LLC
CEO & President                          1645 Old Hwy 41
Office: +1-678-581-9656                  Suite 112, Box 138
Cell: +1-678-640-6884                    Kennesaw, GA 30152
                http://refactored-networks.com/

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:46:35 -0500

Ditto, although I think RFC3046 is actually a normative
reference.

Leslie.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:32:50 -0600

I've updated my working copy accordingly. 

Since the I-D hasn't been published yet because of the IETF 67 
moratorium, I'll probably submit an updated version of the -00 
draft here soon...

Peter

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:21:58 -0600

Done (including a copy edit). The updated text is here:

For those who care, the CVS diff is here:

http://www.jabberstudio.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/xmpp/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-urn-00.xml?r1=1.1&r2=1.3

Peter