Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00 (fwd)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:27:13 +0100 (MEZ)

Folks,
we have posted a RFC 3187-bis initial draft (see below).

This work is part of the PersID project to establish an international
network of stable resolution services for Persistent Identifiers (URNs),
in particular for Bibliographic identifiers.

To give this work a more solid ground, updates to the basic URN-related
documents (RFC 2141 and RFC 3406) and URN namespace-specific RFCs are
planned, and brought to the IETF, in order to bring these documents
in alignment with current IETF Full Standards and IANA procedures.

The ultimate goal is to establish a dedicated 'urnbis' WG in the IETF,
hopefully by this summer, with an ambitious schedule to bring revised
documents initially targetting PS / BCP status to the IESG, with the
goal of fast progression of RFC 2141-bis on the Standards Track.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

----- Forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00

A new version of I-D, draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alfred Hoenes and posted
to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn
Revision:  00
Title:     Using International Standard Book Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
Creation_date:   2010-03-22
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 17

Abstract:

The International Standard Book Number, ISBN, is a widely used
identifier for monographic publications.  Since 2001, there has been
a URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace for ISBNs.  The namespace
registration was performed in RFC 3187 and applies to the ISBN as
specified in the original ISO Standard 2108-1992.  To allow for
further growth in use, the successor ISO Standard, ISO 2108-2005, has
defined an expanded format for the ISBN, known as "ISBN-13".  This
document replaces RFC 3187 and defines how both the old and new ISBN
standard can be supported within the URN framework and the syntax for
URNs defined in RFC 2141.  An updated namespace registration is
included, which describes how both the old and the new ISBN format
can share the same namespace.

Discussion

This draft version is the outcome of work started in 2008 and brought
to the IETF as a contribution to a much larger effort to revise the
basic URN RFCs, in order to bring them in alignment with the current
URI Standard (STD 63, RFC 3986), ABNF, and IANA guidelines, and to
establish a modern URN resolution system for bibliographic
identifiers.

Until a more specific mailing list is established, comments are
welcome on the [email-masked] mailing list (or sent to the
authors).

The IETF Secretariat.

----- End of forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----