Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00 (fwd)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:22:49 +0200 (MESZ)

Folks,
an initial draft for a revised NBN URN namespace definition document
has been completed and submitted.
It targets the proposed URNbis WG we want to establish.

Comments welcome ...

----- Forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----

> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:12:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00

A new version of I-D, draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt
has been successfully submitted and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
Creation_date:	 2010-05-19
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 19

Abstract:

National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are widely used by the national
libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
resources such as monographs pre-dating the emergence of the ISBN
system or still images.  As a rule, NBNs are applied to all kinds of
resources that do not have an established identifier system of their
own.

Since 2001, there has been a URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace
for NBNs, and during 2001-2009 millions of URN-based unique and
persistent NBNs have been assigned.  The namespace registration was
performed in RFC 3188 and applied to the NBNs known at that point.
No URN:NBN resolution services existed at the time when the RFC was
written.  Since then several countries have started using URN:NBNs to
identify electronic resources and to provide persistent links to
them.  To this end, many countries have established URN:NBN
resolution services that supply URN - URL linking.

This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
within the URN framework.  An updated namespace registration (version
4) is included.

Discussion

This document is an outcome of work performed in 2009-2010 as a part
of the project PersID (http://www.persid.org) revising the basic URN
RFCs, in order to bring them in alignment with the current URI
Standard (STD 63, RFC 3986), ABNF, and IANA guidelines, and to
establish a modern URN resolution system for bibliographic
identifiers.  This work is being brought to the IETF, and the intent
is to establish a "URNbis" (or similar) working group in the
Applications Area as soon as possible, which will then target this
and related work.

Comments are welcome on the [email-masked] or the [email-masked]
mailing list (or sent to the authors).  Interested parties are also
invited to contribute to the WG formation process being discussed on
the former list.

<snip/>

The IETF Secretariat.

----- End of forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+