Subject: Submission of URN registration request template (cablelabs)

From: Sumanth Channabasappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:45:40 -0700

Folks,

This email is regarding the URN request documented in draft-cardona-cablelabs-urn-05, which describes a Namespace Identifier (NID) -- 'cablelabs' -- for URNs used to identify resources published by Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. (CableLabs).

See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cardona-cablelabs-urn-05

While we received some early review comments (see: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn-nid/current/msg01056.html) and incorporated them, we failed to send this formal request as pointed out by Leslie (see: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn-nid/current/msg01064.html) and more recently by Peter. We apologize for this oversight. Please consider this request and provide any further comments or suggestions.

Thanks!
- S (on behalf of the authors)

Here's the completed template, as documented in the I-D:

   Namespace ID:
        cablelabs
 
   Registration Information:
        registration version number: 1
        registration date: YYYY-MM-DD [RFC Editor: Please replace YYYY-
        MM-DD with the date of approval of this document for publication
        as an RFC.]
 
   Declared registrant of the namespace:
        Registering organization
           Name: Cable Television Laboratories, Inc.
           Address: 858 Coal Creek Circle, Louisville, CO 80027, USA
        Designated contact
           Role: Manager, Standards
           Email: [email-masked]
 
   Declaration of syntactic structure:
        The Namespace Specific String (NSS) of all URNs that use the
        "cablelabs" NID will have the following structure:
 
        {CLclass}:{CLClassSpecificString}
 
        The "CLclass" is a US-ASCII string that conforms to the URN
        syntax requirements specified in [RFC2141] and defines a
        specific class of resource type.  Each class will have a
        specific labeling scheme that is covered by
        "CLClassSpecificString", which also conforms to the naming
        requirements of [RFC2141].
        CableLabs maintains the CableLabs Assigned Names and Numbers
        [CANN] specification that will contain the assignment of
        CableLabs resource classes, and the specific registration values
        assigned for each resource class.
 
   Relevant ancillary documentation:
        CableLabs publishes information regarding the registered
        resources in the CableLabs' Assigned Names and Numbers
        specification ([CANN]).
 
   Identifier uniqueness considerations:
        CableLabs will manage resource classes using the "cablelabs" NID
        and will be the authority for managing resources and subsequent
        strings associated.  CableLabs is expected to guarantee the
        uniqueness of the strings themselves or it may permit secondary
        responsibility for certain defined resources.
        CableLabs could allow the use of experimental type values for
        testing purposes only.  Note that using experimental types may
        create collisions as multiple users may use the same values for
        resources and specific strings.
 
   Identifier persistence considerations:
        CableLabs will update the CableLabs' Assigned Names and Numbers
        specification (ref: [CANN]) to document the registered resources
        that use the "cablelabs" NID.
 
   Process of identifier assignment:
        CableLabs will provide procedures for registration of each type
        of resource that it maintains.  Each such resource may have
        three types of registration activities:
           1.  Registered values associated with CableLabs documents or
           services
           2.  Registration of values or sub-trees to other entities
           3.  Name models for use in experimental purposes
 
   Process for identifier resolution:
        The namespace is not listed with a resolution discovery system;
        this is not applicable for this URN registration.
 
   Rules for Lexical Equivalence:
        No special considerations; the rules for lexical equivalence of
        [RFC2141] apply.
 
   Conformance with URN Syntax:
        No special considerations.
 
   Validation mechanism:
        None specified.  URN assignment will be handled by procedures
        implemented in support of CableLabs activities.
 
   Scope:
        Global

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:55:05 -0800

Howdy,

The extracted registration below doesn't reflect a community
considerations sections.  It is in the draft, with the following text:

5. Community Considerations

   The CableLabs specifications are publicly available or licensed to
   manufacturers on a nondiscriminatory basis.  CableLabs will maintain
   the allocation of resources for the "cablelabs" NID and maintain
   updated the corresponding specifications where those resources are
   referenced or used.

It might be useful to document whether the CANN specification itself will be
publicly available or whether it will under license, if that data is known.

regards,

Ted Hardie