Subject: URN registration

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:02:12 -0000

Namespace ID: To be assigned

Registration Information:
Registration version number: 1
Registration date: 2011-02-24

Declared registrant of the namespace:
Registering organization
	Name: Digital Television Group
	Address: 1 Nine Elms Lane, London, SW8 5NQ UK
Designated contact person
	Name: Ali Teffahi
	Coordinates: [email-masked]

Declaration of syntactic structure:
	The identifier structure is as follows:
	URN:<assigned number>:<FQDN>:<assigned string>
	URN:dtg

Relevant ancillary documentation:
	Definition of domain names, found in:
	P. Mockapetris, "DOMAIN NAMES - IMPLEMENTATION AND
SPECIFICATION",
	RFC 1035, November 1987.

Identifier uniqueness considerations:
	Uniqueness is guaranteed as long as the assigned string is never
reassigned for a given FQDN, and that the FQDN is never reassigned.

Identifier persistence considerations:
	Persistence of identifiers is dependent upon suitable delegation
of resolution at the level of "FQDN"s, and persistence of FQDN
assignment.

Process of identifier assignment:
	Assignment of these URNs is delegated to individual domain name
holders (for FQDNs).  The holder of the FQDN registration is required to
maintain an 	entry (or delegate it) in the DDDS. Within each of these
delegated name partitions, the string may be assigned per local
requirements.

Process for identifier resolution:
	Domain name holders are responsible for operating or delegating
resolution servers for the FQDN in which they have assigned URNs.

Rules for Lexical Equivalence:
	FQDNs are case-insensitive.  Thus, the portion of the URN
	URN:dtg
	is case-insensitive for matches.  The remainder of the
identifier must be considered case-insensitive also.

Conformance with URN Syntax:
	No special considerations.

Validation mechanism:
	None specified.

Scope:
	Global.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential, may be subject to copyright and is intended solely for the addressee (s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail.  In this case, please note that copying, disseminating or taking any action in relation to the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Digital TV Group. Digital TV Group cannot ensure that emails are virus-free and therefore accepts no liability for viruses that might be transferred by this email or any attachment.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:13:12 -0800

Howdy,

The text of this NID registration seems to rely on fully qualified
domain names never being reasssigned ("that the FQDN is never
reassigned") to guarantee uniqueness.  This is, of course, not a
property guaranteed by the DNS.

The structure:

hints, though, that the actual guarantee of uniqueness might be based
on a tuple of the first assigned string and the fqdn.  This might
work, though it would be simpler to forbid reassignment of the
assigned number.

Can you clarify which strategy is intended here?  An example of a
completed URN would also be helpful.

Lastly, the registration template should contain a "Community
Considerations" section, which is missing here.

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:31:30 -0000

Hello,

An example of a completed URN is:

urn:dtg:metadata:cs

Do the IETF have a preferred mechanism to guarantee uniqueness?  Forbidding reassignment of the assigned number would not be problematic for our use of the urn.

Which community are you referring to?

Many thanks,

Will Godfrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Hardie [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 March 2011 17:13
To: DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject

Howdy,

The structure:

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:52:12 -0800

> An example of a completed URN is:

I'm sorry, but does "metadata" mean the tuple of assigned number and fqdn?

> Do the IETF have a preferred mechanism to guarantee uniqueness?  Forbidding reassignment of the assigned number would not be problematic for our use of the urn.
There is no preferred method, but forbidding reassignment of the
string/number you assign is a relatively easy way to ensure it.

> Which community are you referring to?

See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3406 for the registration
requirements; section 4.3 has the text on community considerations.
You may also want to look a recent registration, like
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5165 for insight.

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 17:05:17 -0000

Hello,

No, "metadata" is a textual example of what will follow urn:dtg:...

Does our urn require an assigned number? Does this come from ietf? I don't think we require a number, apologies for the confusion.

Regarding Community Considerations, I will review the information provided and provide an update.

Many thanks,

Will Godfrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Hardie [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 March 2011 17:52
To: DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 14:39:04 -0800

Hi Will,

> No, "metadata" is a textual example of what will follow urn:dtg:...
Sorry that I haven't made myself clear.  The literal string "metadata"
does not match your ABNF, and I was hoping you would provide an actual
example.  I inferred that it was a different way of saying "<assigned
number>:<FQDN>" with "cs" as the assogmed string.  If "metadata" is a
textual example, then your ABNF is wrong, as it contains neithr the
assigned number or FQDN you say will be there.

> Does our urn require an assigned number? Does this come from ietf? I don't think we require a number, apologies for the confusion.
Your registration form currently implies your organization assigns a
unique number.  If you are guaranteeing uniqueness in some other way,
how need to be made clear.  The IETF would not assign these resources
numbers.

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 09:41:39 -0000

Hi Ted,

What is ABNF?

My mistake, the registration should not include a unique number.

The attached schema contains the complete namespace, does this clarify our requirements?

Is uniqueness guaranteed if we are the first to register urn:dtg?

Thanks,

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Hardie [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 07 March 2011 22:39
To: DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject

Hi Will,

regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:41:46 -0800

Hi Will,
>What is ABNF?

See RFC 5234 ( http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5234.txt )

Regards,
-sm

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:42:20 +0100

Hello,

Can you provide an update of where we are with this URN registration?

Many thanks,

Will Godfrey

-----Original Message-----
From: DTG Registration 
Sent: 08 March 2011 09:42
To: Ted Hardie; DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: URN registration - Email found in subject

Hi Ted,

What is ABNF?

Thanks,

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Hardie [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 07 March 2011 22:39
To: DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject

Hi Will,

Sorry that I haven't made myself clear.  The literal string "metadata"
does not match your ABNF, and I was hoping you would provide an actual example.  I inferred that it was a different way of saying "<assigned
number>:<FQDN>" with "cs" as the assogmed string.  If "metadata" is a
textual example, then your ABNF is wrong, as it contains neithr the assigned number or FQDN you say will be there.

> Does our urn require an assigned number? Does this come from ietf? I don't think we require a number, apologies for the confusion.
Your registration form currently implies your organization assigns a unique number.  If you are guaranteeing uniqueness in some other way, how need to be made clear.  The IETF would not assign these resources numbers.

regards,

Ted Hardie
>>>        Address: 1 Nine Elms Lane, London, SW8 5NQ UK Designated 
>>> contact person
>>>        Name: Ali Teffahi
>>>        Uniqueness is guaranteed as long as the assigned string is 
>>> never reassigned for a given FQDN, and that the FQDN is never reassigned.
>>>
>>>        Persistence of identifiers is dependent upon suitable 
>>> delegation of resolution at the level of "FQDN"s, and persistence of 
>>> FQDN assignment.
>>>
>>>        Assignment of these URNs is delegated to individual domain 
>>> name holders (for FQDNs).  The holder of the FQDN registration is 
>>> required to maintain an     entry (or delegate it) in the DDDS. 
>>> Within each of these delegated name partitions, the string may be 
>>> assigned per local requirements.
>>>
>>>        Domain name holders are responsible for operating or 
>>> delegating resolution servers for the FQDN in which they have assigned URNs.
>>>

---

From: Benja Fallenstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:57:38 +0200

Hi Ted,

> how need to be made clear.  The IETF would not assign these resources

I think you're misreading. Most of the text in this application seems
to be copied from the example application in RFC 3406, including the

> URN:<assigned number>:<FQDN>:<assigned string>

that you cite. In this context, the <assigned number> is the URN
namespace name. IIUC, the example is of an application for an informal
URN namespace, where the namespace name is assigned by IANA. That's
also why the first line reads "Namespace ID: to be assigned".

All the best,
- Benja

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:18:29 +0100

Benja,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the text was copied from the example application in RFC 3406.

Is it possible to speak to somebody to assist the application process?

Best regards,

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Benja Fallenstein [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 31 March 2011 11:58
To: Ted Hardie
Cc: DTG Registration; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject - Email found in subject

Hi Ted,

All the best,
- Benja