Subject: URN registration

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:35:39 +0100

Proposal to register "DTG" as a formal NID

Registration Information:
Registration version number: 2
Registration date: 2011-09-09

Declared registrant of the namespace:
Registering organization
	Name: Digital Television Group
	Address: Level 5, 89 Albert Embankment, London, SW8 5NQ UK     
Designated contact person:
	Name: Ali Teffahi
	Coordinates: [email-masked]

Declaration of syntactic structure:
The identifier structure is as follows:
URN:dtg
The "URN" and "NID" parts of the overall namespace shall be used in
accordance with RFC2141 and RFC3406.
The syntactic structure of the NSS part of the URN will be unrestricted
but the character set used shall be compliant with section 2.2 of URN
syntax requirements (RFC2141).

Relevant ancillary documentation:
RFC2141 defines the overall URN syntax, with section 2.1 defining the
syntax which is proposed for this application, and section 2.2 defining
the character set available for the NSS parts proposed by DTG in this
application.
All URNs will be assigned by DTG or DTG technical working groups.
As part of this application we also provide:
* Brief document explaining the reason for this submission by DTG, see
Appendix A at the bottom of this email.
* A copy of the DTG URN Register which will be used to manage the use of
the persistent URNs (present and future) defined by DTG during the
standardisation work carried out within DTG working groups, see Appendix
B. This will be available to DTG members through the organisation's
resource.

Identifier uniqueness considerations:
All URNs defined by DTG during the standardisation work carried out
within the organisation shall be considered globally unique because of
the combination of:
* The NID ("DTG") uniquely to be registered to DTG by IANA, which is the
subject of this submission
* A namespace part (NSS) defined by DTG as required and registered
within the organisation's maintenance system, for which the proposal is
as included in Appendix B.

Identifier persistence considerations:
Assignment of urn:dtg will only be available through the DTG via its
private membership.
DTG will act with best intention to ensure that referenced URNs remain
accessible and persistent while relevant and after the "lifetime of the
resource" to ensure that other parties attempting to implement any DTG
specification will still be able to do so. 
Where the specifications from where the URNs are referenced are updated,
the URN for later versions of the documents carrying those URNs will
also be updated by the versioning information within the URN

Process of identifier assignment:
The resolution mechanism will be restricted to that provided by DTG with
access being made available to organisations having legitimate rights of
usage of the resource referenced.
Delegation of the resolution mechanism offering similar security may
take place at some time in the future but is not anticipated at present.

Rules for Lexical Equivalence:
The lexical equivalence of urn:dtg will be demonstrated by comparison of
a string identical to that registered. The string will be considered to
be case insensitive.

Conformance with URN Syntax:
There are no special considerations required for conforming with the URN
syntax.

Validation mechanism:
The validation will be enforced by adhering to the lexical equivalence
rules outlined. DTG will ensure that usage will be unambiguous.

Scope:
The scope should ensure that global uniqueness is possible since the
specifications produced by DTG may be referred to by network designers
from many countries, including outside of the EU range. If restriction
is needed, then EU and North America are probably the nearest optimum.

Appendix A: Registration rationale
The Digital Television Group (DTG) is an industry organisation
representing the digital television industry, it brings together
broadcasters, service providers, manufacturers and other key
stakeholders to define detailed broadcast and receiver specifications
and provide regimes to measure conformance against brand requirements.

DTG would like to assign unique, permanent, location-independent names
based on URNs for some resources it produces or manages. These URNs will
be constructed according to the URN syntax defined in [RFC2141].

This namespace specification is for a formal namespace to be registered
according to the procedures set forth in [RFC3406].

Initial NSS parts examples are presented for pedagogical reasons only:
urn:dtg:metadata:2011-9
urn:dtg:metadata:2011-11
urn:dtg:measurement:2011-12
urn:dtg:security:2011-12

Appendix B: DTG URN Register
|| URN || Date registered || Working Group registered to || Working
Group Chairman || Comments ||
| urn:dtg:metadata:2011-9 | Sept 2011 | CTV Metadata | Dave Walton | No
comment |

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential, may be subject to copyright and is intended solely for the addressee (s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail.  In this case, please note that copying, disseminating or taking any action in relation to the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Digital TV Group. Digital TV Group cannot ensure that emails are virus-free and therefore accepts no liability for viruses that might be transferred by this email or any attachment.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:54:08 -0600

> Proposal to register "DTG" as a formal NID

Thank you for your interest in registering a formal namespace. Please
note that the process requires publication of an RFC, as described in
Section 4.3 of RFC 3406:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3406#section-4.3

You can simply reformat most of your email message in the form of an
Internet-Draft.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:38:44 +0100

Does reformatting most of my email message in the form of an Internet-Draft mean the registration version number has to be incremented?

Thank you

Will Godfrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Saint-Andre [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 09 September 2011 17:54
To: DTG Registration
Cc: [email-masked]; Dave Walton
Subject: Re: URN registration

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "DTG Registration" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:13:08 +0100

Mykata,

Thank you for the information.

Best regards,

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 19 September 2011 14:04
To: DTG Registration
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre; Dave Walton; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: URN registration - Email found in subject

Will,

No, you don't need to do so.  Moreover, you should use version number 1 
in the template, unless you update already registered with IANA namespace.

Mykyta

---

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:04:17 +0300

Will,

Mykyta