Subject: One way to create "private" URNs

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:39:08 -0400

Talking to Peter Saint-Andre on the main URN mailing list, he noted
that there's one way to quickly and easily obtain URN space:  Obtain
an IANA "private enterprise" number:

http://pen.iana.org/pen/PenApplication.page
https://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers/enterprise-numbers
RFC 2578

That allocates to you a branch of the "object identifier" space:

1.3.6.1.4.1.<your number>.xx.yy.zz

and derived from object identifiers are OID URNs:

urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.<your number>.xx.yy.zz

So for example, my consulting company (Ariadne Internet Services,
Inc.) is assigned enterprise number 14490, so I can define any OID
starting with 1.3.6.1.4.1.14490, and use the corresponding URN.

The limitation on OIDs is that they must be a finite sequence of
non-negative integers, but other than that, you can define whatever
subsets of them you want.

Dale