Subject: draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01.txt, review/URN assignment

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 06:03:52 -0700

Hello URN-NID review list:

draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01 has been posted. URN NID assignments for 
"xmlns" and "rdf" are requested. Please review.

Since the last draft, I have gotten interest and feedback indicating 
that there is pent-up demand for these namespaces. As it has been nine 
months since the last discussion, and URNBIS has failed to deliver 
results, we cannot delay further. Let's move forward; thank you.

Comments up through the last revision (specifically the comments by Dale 
R. Worley, but also others) have been incorporated or addressed.

Regards,

Sean

***********
TEMPLATE

  Namespace ID:
     xmlns

  Registration Information:
     Version: 1
     Date: 2015-09-24

  Declared registrant of the namespace:
     IETF

  Declaration of syntactic structures:
     An xmlns name is any
     valid XML name corresponding to "Name" in Section 2.3
     of [XML1.0] (production 5), with the following restrictions:
        1. The name MUST be at least four characters.
        2. Colons MAY be used as intra-name dividers.
        3. Colons MUST NOT appear at the beginning or end of the name.
        4. Consecutive colons MUST NOT appear.
     and the following relaxation:
        5. The first part of the name preceding the first colon MAY
           be comprised of DIGITs (which are intended to correspond
           to registered IANA Private Enterprise Numbers);
           further discussion is in
           "Process of identifier assignment".

       The ABNF of a name is:

        urn-xmlns-name = [DIGIT+ ":"] NoColonNameStartChar
                         *([":"] NoColonNameChar)

     Where the productions NoColonNameStartChar and NoColonNameChar
     are respectively taken from NameStartChar (production 4)
     and NameChar (production 4a) in [XML1.0], with ":" omitted.
     Although ABNF is formally US-ASCII only, the domain of
     this production includes the whole Unicode range.

     The name is used as the basis of the
     Namespace Specific String (NSS) as follows.
     When the NSS is encoded in a URN in a URI protocol slot,
     Unicode code points beyond U+007F
     are encoded as percent-encoded UTF-8. Conveniently,
     all XML name characters in the US-ASCII range are in the
     [RFC3986] unreserved set.
     When the NSS is encoded in a URN in a IRI protocol slot,
     Unicode code points beyond U+007F in the unreserved set
     are encoded as-is; they MUST NOT be percent-encoded.

  Relevant ancillary documentation:
     [XML1.0], [XML1.1].

  Identifier uniqueness considerations:
     The meaning of an identifier is registered in the registry,
     and thus is unique.

  Identifier persistence considerations:
     Once an identifier is registered, its meaning cannot be changed.

  Process of identifier assignment:
     Identifiers are registered with IANA on a First-Come, First-Served
     basis. One-character initial prefixes are reserved for further
     use. Two- and three-character initial prefixes are intended to
     correlate with language tags and regional codes; however, they
     have no such semantic content when used in an xmlns name. Whole
     number initial prefixes are intended to represent IANA
     Private Enterprise Numbers.
     Registrants are free to register names with reserved two-character
     and three-character initial prefixes, such as "au:flag" or
     "en:us:ca:lax". Registrants are also free to register names with
     whole number prefixes, such as "20:10-250": these names have a
     particular registration process since they implicitly relate
     relate to IANA Private Enterprise Numbers.
     The IANA Considerations section fully defines the
     registration processes.

  Process for identifier resolution:
     The registration for a particular identifier MAY include
     any number of URIs that a URN resolver MAY use to resolve
     the URN to return specific resources. The registered
     URIs are not equivalent to the registered URN, so an XML document
     that refers to that particular namespace MUST use the registered
     URN as the XML namespace URI. IANA will maintain the resolution
     database--see Section 4.
     A URN resolver SHALL pass any [RFC3986] fragment component in the
     urn: URI or IRI through to the resolved URI if the registered URI
     does not have a fragment component. See [URNBIS].
     If the registered URI has a fragment component, a URN resolver
     SHALL NOT pass any [RFC3986] fragment component in the urn: URI
     or IRI; the fragment component SHALL be ignored.

  Rules for Lexical Equivalence:
     The NSS is compared case sensitively.
     If a URI and a IRI are compared against each other, the
     UTF-8 percent-encoded octets in the URI representing code points
     in the unreserved set beyond U+007F SHALL be treated
     as the Unicode code points
     in the IRI. An IRI that contains UTF-8 percent-encoded octets
     in the unreserved set beyond U+007F is not supposed to exist;
     it is a protocol error.
     Fragments (delimited by the # character) are not considered
     part of the name, the NSS, or the URN, so a fragment would not
     affect lexical equivalence. Nevertheless, a urn: URI or IRI
     might be produced with a fragment component.

  Conformance with URN Syntax:
     The URN of this namespace conforms to new URN Syntax
     [URNBIS], old URN syntax [RFC2141], and Uniform Resource Identifier
     (URI): Generic Syntax [RFC3986].

  Validation mechanism:
     An XMLNS URN may be validated by looking it up in the IANA Registry.

  Scope:
     Global.

***********

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01.txt
Date: 	Fri, 25 Sep 2015 05:53:13 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sean Leonard and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns
Revision:	01
Title:		URN Namespaces for XML Namespaces and RDF IRIs
Document date:	2015-09-24
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		9
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-seantek-xmlns-rdf-urns-01

Abstract:
    XML segregates elements into namespaces, which can be used to mix
    tags with different semantics in a composite XML document.  XML
    namespaces are identified by URIs (XML 1.0) or IRIs (XML 1.1).
    Similarly, RDF contains "nodes" that are identified by "URI
    references" (RDF 1.0) or "IRIs" (RDF 1.1).  This document defines
    URNs specifically for XML namespaces and RDF nodes.