Subject: ZigBee Alliance "xcl" URN Formal Application

From: Victor Berrios <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:12:06 +0000

Hello,

Enclosed, please find a formal URN application for Namespace ID “zcl” submitted by the ZigBee Alliance.

Should you require additional information, or have additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Victor Berrios
Vice President - Technology
ZigBee Alliance

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.zigbee.org<http://www.zigbee.org>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 14:26:11 -0400

>From ZigBe_Alliance-zcl-urn-application-FINAL-03Aug16.txt:

I see that "Declaration of syntactic structure" says:

      URNs assigned by the ZigBee Alliance will have the following
      structure based on the organizational structure of the resources
      specified in the ZigBee Alliance specifications:

        urn:zcl:<NSS>

      where the syntax of "<NSS>" is specified in Section 2.2 of the URN
      Syntax requirements [RFC2141].

whereas "Rules for Lexical Equivalence" says:

      The "<NSS>" is case-sensitive. Only lower case letters are
      considered valid.

These are not consistent, since <NSS> allows upper-case letters (both as
part of %-escapes and in their own right).

If you really mean to forbid upper-case letters, you need to state that
in "syntactic structure".  E.g.,

        urn:zcl:<NSS>

      where the syntax of "<NSS>" is specified in Section 2.2 of the URN
      Syntax requirements [RFC2141], except that it may not contain
      upper-case letters.

Also, the "urn" and namespace parts are case-insensitive (RFC 2141,
sections 2 and 2.1), so "equivalence" should be updated to, perhaps

       The "<NSS>" portion of URNs is compared as a character string.

Dale

---

From: Victor Berrios <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 20:35:35 +0000

Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions Dale.

Enclosed, please find a revised application.

Regards,

Victor Berrios

       urn:zcl:<NSS>

       urn:zcl:<NSS>

Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 11:32:46 -0400

> Enclosed, please find a revised application.

Clearly, that takes care of all my concerns.

Dale