Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:26:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Resolution of Uniform Resource Identifiers using the
                          Domain Name System
        Author(s)       : M. Mealling, R. Daniel
        Filename        : draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt
        Pages           : 23
        Date            : 30-Jun-99

The architectural principles laid out in RFC2276[9] defines the
concept of a 'resolver discovery service'. This document describes
an immediately-deployable RDS. It is implemented by a new DNS
Resource Record, NAPTR (Naming Authority PoinTeR)[10], that provides
a method for encoding incrementally discovered rules within DNS. By
using these incrementally discovered rules to re-map parts of a URI,
we can change the host that is contacted to resolve a URI.  This
will allow a more graceful handling of URLs over long time periods,
and forms the foundation for a new proposal for Uniform Resource
Names.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.