Subject: URNs & Universal Media

From: "Aaron E. Walsh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:19:44 -0400

Hello everyone,

In reponse to Leslie's message regarding the wrap-up of URN work being
done in this group I'd like to point folks towards the Web3D
Consortium's Universal Media working group:

Universal Media Working Group
  http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/media/

Universal Media URN Recommended Practice Proposal:
  http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/media/proposals/urn.html

We use URNs to reference locally-resident media elements (textures,
sounds, and 3D objects) for use in online Web3D worlds. Based on our URN
Recommended Practice Proposal, which members of this IETF-URN list
reviewed some time ago, the blaxxun Contact VRML browser now supports
Universal Media. We're also now proposing URN support in X3D (Extensible
3D), the successor to VRML (I'll drop another line to keep everyone
posted on that progress).

Regards,
Aaron
-----------------------------------------------
Aaron E. Walsh
  http://www.mantiscorp.com/people/aew/

Chair, Web3D Universal Media Working Group
  http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/media/
-----------------------------------------------