Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:32:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : URN Namespace Definition Mechanisms
        Author(s)       : L. Daigle, D. van Gulik, R. Iannella, P. Faltstrom
        Filename        : draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-03.txt
        Pages           : 18
        Date            : 08-May-01

The URN WG has defined a syntax for Uniform Resource Names (URNs)
[RFC2141], as well as some proposed mechanisms for their resolution
and use in Internet applications ([RFCXXXX], [RFCYYYY]).  The whole
rests on the concept of individual 'namespaces' within the URN
structure.  Apart from  proof-of-concept namespaces, the use of
existing identifiers in URNs has been discussed ([RFC2288]), and this
document lays out general definitions of and mechanisms for
establishing URN 'namespaces'.
This document obsoletes RFC2611.
Discussion of this document should be directed to [email-masked]

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:18:28 -0400

Howdy,

The URN WG has reviewed this document, and considers it completed.
We would therefore like to ask the IESG to publish it as a BCP RFC,
to replace/obsolete RFC2611 for URN NID definition process.

There is one outstanding editorial issue.  The URL for the IANA URN
namespace registry uses the "isi.edu" domain.  I know that IANA
is trying to move everything to iana.org, but that doesn't
work at the moment.  I sent a message to IANA 2 weeks ago asking
what they'd like me to put in there, but haven't had a response.
I think we're better off not delaying this any furhter, and if
IANA responds in the next while, we can fix that with a note to the
RFC-editor, in the worst case.

Thanks,
Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"The best laid plans
    are written in pencil."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 17:44:36 -0400

FYI -- this note was addressed to our area directors, and cc'ed
to the working group.  For those who don't know/forgot, the mailing
list reflector strips off all other addresses and makes the mailing
list the sole recipient.  Which is helpful at keeping addressee
lists down, but sometimes makes the context inscrutable.

Leslie.

--

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]