Subject: Scalability Analysis of NAPTR Approach

From: Gerco Ballintijn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:43:04 +0200

Hi,

For my PhD research, I am interested in wide-area naming systems, and
I have therefore been following the work of this working group for a
couple of years. While the various RFCs and internet-drafts describe
the requirements and mechanisms for URN based naming, I am particularly
interested in a *scientific analyses* of the proposed methods. I am
therefore looking for publications (of any kind) describing mathematical
analysis or performance experiments of the DNS based Resolver Discovery
System. Since there are no such pointers on the working group web page,
I was hoping somebody on this list could point me in the right direction.

                                Gerco.

----------------------------------v------------------------------------
G.C. Ballintijn                   |      Oh, Fortuna
mailto:[email-masked]             |      Velut luna
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~gerco/       |      Statu variabilis.....

---

From: Justin Couch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:10:32 +1000

> I was hoping somebody on this list could point me in the right direction.

Are you looking for less research based information or information that
does not use DNS for the resolver mechanism? I've been using them in
commercial and military applications for the past 2 years at least and
can give you quite a lot of anecdotal evidence. This uses custom
resolvers, combination resolvers (eg THTTP + custom + caching
mechanisms). Drop me a line privately if it is of interest.

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Freelance Java Consultant                  http://www.yumetech.com/
Author, Java 3D FAQ Maintainer                  http://www.j3d.org/
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Humanism is dead. Animals think, feel; so do machines now.
Neither man nor woman is the measure of all things. Every organism
processes data according to its domain, its environment; you, with
all your brains, would be useless in a mouse's universe..."
                                              - Greg Bear, Slant
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:53:30 -0400

> I was hoping somebody on this list could point me in the right direction.

We never did anything beyond simply looking at the affect of
certain optimizations such as additional information records, etc.
Most of the data you would get would be dependent on how the namespace
was delegated. Something that was very deep and granular would have
a poor performance characteristic. In the case of something like the
PIN space which is flat the total number of DNS lookups is very close to 1.
We never really went beyond that fairly simple analysis since we had
no namespaces to use as input. I suppose one could create some fake
namespaces to test how each additional delegation affects resolution
time but I'm sure it would be pretty much 1:1 with the number of delegations
in the namespace itself.

If you do find something or end up writing something yourself I'm sure
the list would be very interested!

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling                       | mailto:[email-masked]
Advanced Naming Research Manager       | go:Michael Mealling
Verisign Applied Research              | urn:pin:1

---

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:50:22 +0000

Is this the latest DDDS draft?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-ddds-04.txt

Seems to have expired 8 February, though I'm not sure it matters.

---

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:16:36 +0000

> Seems to have expired 8 February, though I'm not sure it matters.

Sorry - my coffee must be decaf today.  That was the publication date.

Bah.