Subject: [urn] Hello and Welcome

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:37:30 -0500

Congratulations to all the people who worked to bring this working group to
fruition.

I am Andrew, one of the co-chairs (I usually go by and most people just call
me Andy). I thought I would introduce myself since many people in the URN
community do not know me. I've participated in many working groups in the
IETF, and this is my third time co-chairing one. I've got a couple of RFCs
under my belt, most recently in the area of VOIP and emergency services.
While I will have to defer to Alfred for in-depth domain expertise, I am not
unfamiliar with URNs and have even written DDDS applications and
specifications. And as a bit of URNish trivia, I went to highschool with
Michael Mealling, a name you will find on many of the first-round URN RFCs.

While I may be a new face to the broader URN community, I understand that
some of the participants here are new to the IETF having come from other URN
related standards bodies. Your participation is greatly welcomed. If you are
unfamiliar with the IETF, you might want to take a few moments to read RFC
4677, The Tao of IETF. While the IETF has been formalizing its processes
over the years, newcomers might want to especially note the comparatively
informal process upon which working groups arrive at consensus. It may seem
a little "rough and tumble" at times, but the intent is to value discussion
and consensus building.

I look forward to working with all of you. And again, congratulations on the
formation of this working group.

-andy