Subject: [urn] Fate of SICI namespace ?

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:50:35 +0100 (MEZ)

URN folks,

As recalled in the Introduction of draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn
and equally in the Introduction of draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn,
RFC 2288 in February 1998 informally discussed the suitability
of the SICI namespace as a URN namespace, amongst ISBN and ISBN.
For the latter two bibliographic namespaces, a formal URN namespace
definition has been produced each, but not for SICI.
The aforementioned drafts, which are input for the URNBIS WG, have
indicated the intent to "Update" RFC 2288.

Working on the initial WG versions of the rfc3187bis-isbn-urn
and rfc3188bis-nbn-urn I-Ds, we revisited this point and considered
whether it would make more sense to move RFC 2288 to "Historic"
status during the planned process of approval for RFC publication
of rfc3187bis and rfc3188bis.

Please have a look at RFC 2288 (if you haven't done so recently;
it's a short RFC of only ~7 pages of text, and it's a good-to-know
background for the upcoming discussion on the ISBN and NBN namespaces
as well) and state your opinions on the list wrt the following point:

(1)  Is there any chance that an URN:SICI namespace will be defined
     and used in the foreseeable future?

If "no" for (1), ...

(2)  Would it indeed make sense to declare RFC 2288 as "Historic"
     and/or "Obsoleted" by the new namespace definitions ?

And:

(3)  Is there any content in RFC 2288 related to ISBNs and URN:ISBN
     that is still current and useful but not covered by
     draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn, and hence should be carried
     over into the WG version of that draft?

(4)  Is there any content in RFC 2288 related to ISSNs and URN:ISSN
     that is still current and useful but not covered by RFC 3044
     and hence should be carried over into the revision of that RFC
     (that we are chartered to produce soon) ?

The draft authors would appreciate affirmative answers to (3) and (4)
being accompanied by suggested text snippets and an indication of
where to add these!

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

_____
For ease of reference, here are URIs of HTML versions of the
aforementioned documents and the other core documents we are
going to work on, as well as the intended draft names for the
upcoming working group documents:

RFCs:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2141
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3406

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2288
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3044
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3187
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3188

(Don't forget to consider any RFC Errata linked from the headings
of these pages!)

Existing individual drafts (already formally expired or going to
formally expire soon, awaiting to be replaced by WG drafts):

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ah-rfc2141bis-urn-02

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00

Planned draft names for the chartered/upcoming WG drafts:

   draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn
   draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg

   draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3044bis-issn-urn
   draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn
   draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn