Subject: [urn] Another welcome, and a few pointers to resources

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:58:05 +0100 (MEZ)

URN[bis] folks,
as you might have noticed from the WG formation announcement,
I have been tasked by our Area Directors to share fate with
Andrew Newton in co-chairing this URNbis Working Group.

I'd like to add to the thanks already expressed by Andy to all who
contributed to the efforts to establish this working group.

We have an ambitious schedule on our charter, and I hope we get
focussed discussions soon on this list that help to achieve the
primary milestones set for the time span until the next IETF meeting
(IETF 80, Prague, last week of March 2011).  We plan to have a
face-to-face session there to close up open issues and plan for
the next steps.  I know that many of you have a tight schedule
and therefore it likely isn't too early to already fix your eyes
upon that timeline!

The first WG draft among those listed in our charter is on its way to
the archives and will be announced soon, and three more are planned
for the next 2-3 weeks, in order.

For your interest:

(1)
On the servers maintained by the IETF Tools team, we have a home page
that already contains links to most resources related to the WG, and
it will be populated soon with pointers to related Internet-Drafts.
  <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/urnbis/>

(2)
In addition to what Andy already said:

The "Tao of the IETF" is maintained by Paul Hoffman as an Internet-
Draft that contains the most up-to-date information.
Due to organizatorial changes, some of the URLs given in RFC 4677
have changed, and so you might prefer to access this working version.
It can be found in various formats on the IETF Tools site at
  <tools.ietf,org/html/draft-hoffman-tao4677bis-10>,
and it is also available from the IETF Newcomers page,
  <http://www.ietf.org/newcomers.html>
via a link to
  <http://www.ietf.org/tao.html>.

(3)
I stumbled over this:

   "Identification - Related Resources",
   <http://hosted.ukoln.ac.uk/biblink/wp2/links.html>

It's more than 12 years old, but still a wealth of information.
Several of the research and background documents referred to in
earlier RFCs on URIs/URNs, and information on various identifier
systems can be found there.
So this might be an interesting bookmark for legacy background
information.

Best regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+