Subject: [urn] I-D Action:draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:00:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms
	Author(s)       : A. Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-00.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2010-12-16

Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
location-independent, resource identifiers.  To structure and
organize their usage, the URN syntax specifies a hierarchy that
horizontally divides the set of possible URNs into "URN Namespaces"
that can be individually defined and managed.  URN Namespaces in
particular serve to map existing identifier systems into the URN
system and thereby make available generic, network-based resolution
services for the identified documents, artifacts, and other objects
(and their metadata).

To actually leverage such synergetic advantage, URN namespaces need
to be specified in a comparable manner, and their Namespace
Identifiers (NIDs) need to be registered with IANA, so that naming
conflicts are avoided and implementers of services can follow a
structured approach in support of various namespaces, guided by the
registry to the related documents and the particularities of specific
namespaces, as described in these namespace registration documents.

This document serves as a guidleline for authors of URN Namespace
definition and registration documents.  It describes the essential
content of such documents and how they shall be structured to allow
readers familar with the scheme to quickly assess the properties of a
specific URN Namespace.  Further, this RFC describes the process to
be followed to get a URN Namespace registered with IANA.

This document is a companion document to the revised URN Syntax
specification, RFC 2141bis; it supersedes and replaces RFC 3406.

Discussion

This draft version has been obtained by importing the text from RFC
3406 into modern tools and making a first round of updating steps.
It is an initial chartered work item of the URNBIS WG.

Discussion of this memo utilizes the [email-masked] mailing list.Status of
This Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
Drafts is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 20, 2011.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the Simplified BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:04:00 +0100 (MEZ)

Folks,
(speaking as the document editor),
the initial version of the URN Namespace registrations (RFC 3406bis)
draft has been submitted.

It contains several "Editorial Notes" intended to focus discussion.

Appendix C contains a detailed change log that will help the hasty
reader to locate the places in the draft worth being looked at more
closely and then bomb the list with comments ...   :-)

At Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:00:03 -0800, Internet-Drafts at ietf.org wrote:

> This document serves as a guideline for authors of URN Namespace
> Discussion of this memo utilizes the [email-masked] mailing list.
>
>
>

As usual, the HTMLized version of the I-D  and diffs from the old RFC
are available at:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg>

We are also still eargerly awaiting your comments on the initial
WG version of the rfc2141bis draft, cf.
  <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn/current/msg01475.html>

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+