Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action:draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:54:03 +0100 (MEZ)

Hello,
speaking again as the document editor:

We also happened to submit the initial WG version of the RFC 3188bis
(URN:NBN) draft.  To speed up the submission, the metadata relation
indicating that this draft replaces its predecessor individual I-D
will be entered in the database later, but as soon as possible.

Internet-Drafts wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.  This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource
> Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>
> Title    : Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
> Author(s): J. Hakala, A. Hoenes
> Filename : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt
> Pages    : 22
> Date     : 2010-12-22
>
> Abstract
>
>  National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are widely used by the national
>  libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
>  resources such as monographs pre-dating the emergence of the ISBN
>  system or still images.  NBNs are applied to all kinds of resources
>  that do not have an established identifier system of their own.
>
>  Since 2001, there has been a URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace
>  for NBNs, and during 2001-2009 millions of URN-based unique and
>  persistent NBNs have been assigned.  The namespace registration was
>  performed in RFC 3188 and applied to the NBNs known at that point.
>  No URN:NBN resolution services existed at the time when the RFC was
>  written.  Since then, several countries including Finland, Germany,
>  Italy, and the Netherlands have used URN:NBNs to identify electronic
>  resources and to provide persistent links to them.  To this end,
>  these countries have established URN:NBN resolution services that
>  supply URN - URL linking.
>
>  This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
>  within the URN framework.  An updated namespace registration is
>  included.
>
> Discussion
>
>  This document is an outcome of work performed in 2009-2010 as a part
>  of the project PersID (http://www.persid.org) and brought into the
>  IETF; it formally introduces the RFC 3188bis work from PersID as a
>  chartered work item of the URNbis WG.
>
>  Comments are welcome and should be directed to the [email-masked]
>  mailing list or the authors.
>
>
> [...]
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> [...]

As usual, a HTML-ized version (also linking to related information)
is available at the IETF Tools site at this URL:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00>

A HTML `diff` from the predecessor individual I-D can be obtained
with the URL:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?difftype=--hwdiff
          &url1=draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt
          &url2=draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt>

Comments are welcome!

Speaking also as a WG co-chair:

But please note that this draft depends on the revised URN syntax and
URN Namespace Definitions documents and tangentially also on the
revised URN:ISBN draft (rfc3187bis), the initial WG versions of which
were already available; we really need to discuss the former two with
highest priority, so that the namespace-specific documents can be
adjusted according to the decisions made by the WG for the core specs.
I hope the years-end holidays will offer you an opportunity to read
and comment on all WG documents.

I once more recall that all WG related information should be accessible
to you from the WG's home page, <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/urnbis/>.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+