Subject: Re: [urn] fragment identifiers

From: "Vanderfeesten, Maurice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:17:34 +0100

Dear IETF URN working group,

The discussion arose if fragments for URN's are used in practise and
which form/syntax they should be.

Syntax:

For the input of Fragments for identifiers depends on the content type.

These two links provide several known standards 

http://www.openannotation.org/spec/alpha3/#DM_Frag_Identifier

for pointing to fragments of content types: x/html, pdf, plain text, xml

http://www.openannotation.org/spec/alpha3/#DM_Frag_Media 

for pointing to fragments for content types like video, audio and
pictures (not exclusively); using spatial, time and named attributes.

Used in practise:

The Open Annotation Collaboration project is expecting the fragments for
URI's also account for URN's! 

 "... we assign a unique non-resolvable URI (called a URN) as the
identifier for the Body. It is suggested that an identifier in the
urn:UUID scheme be used, however any URN is possible."

From: http://www.openannotation.org/spec/alpha3/#DM_StringContent 

People already think the realm of URI is extending into the realm or
URN. In my opinion the URN community should act similarly if it comes to
fragments.

Broad Support:

The members and participants of the open annotation collaboration are
real and using fragments in practice
http://www.openannotation.org/WorkshopAttendeeList.html ,
http://www.openannotation.org/advisoryBoard.html 

Tools using fragments
http://www.openannotation.org/wiki/index.php/Known_Annotation_Clients 

Remark:

I am not a member of the open annotation collaboration, but since this
issue arose in the IETF and I am following closely the developments of
collaborative annotation in the research perspective, I thought this
would be worthwhile mentioning.

Best,

maurice

| Project Coordinator Knowledge Infrastructure ICT&Research |
SURFfoundation <http://www.surffoundation.nl/>  | Graadt van Roggenweg
340 | P.O. Box 2290 | 3500 GG Utrecht | The Netherlands | T +31 (0)30
234 66 00 | F +31 (0)30 233 29 60 | www.surf.nl <http://www.surf.nl/>  |
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  |