Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:22:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Syntax
	Author(s)       : Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers.  This document serves as
   the foundation of the &#39;urn&#39; URI Scheme according to RFC 3986 and sets
   forward the canonical syntax for URNs, which subdivides URNs into
   &quot;namespaces&quot;.  A discussion of both existing legacy and new
   namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and transmission are
   presented.  Finally, there is a discussion of URN equivalence and how
   to determine it.  This document supersedes RFC 2141.

   The requirements and procedures for URN Namespace registration
   documents are currently set forth in RFC 3406, which is also being
   updated by a companion, revised specification dubbed RFC 3406bis.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:02:46 +0100 (MEZ)

The IETF I-D Submission Tool <internet-drafts at ietf.org> wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the
> Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>
>   the foundation of the 'urn' URI Scheme according to RFC 3986 and sets
>   "namespaces".  A discussion of both existing legacy and new
> _______________________________________________
> urn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn

[[ speaking as the document editor ]]

This draft version contains many updates,
as outlined in the new Appendix D.5 of the draft.

Most importantly, based on the list discussion, the open issue
regarding the NSS character repertoire is now regarded closed;
there have been no concerns raised against now allowing "&" and "~"
in the NSS syntax, and hence bringing it in alignment with RFC 3986.
Hence, much of the material from s2.2 has been moved to a new
Appendix (C), and Appendix B (previously: C) has been filled in now.
Please note also that the previous Appendix A has been moved to the
end of the memo and now has become Appendix E, which has caused
some renumbering of the more persistent Appendices of the draft.

Due to time constraints and technical issues I had in the past with
Internet/email access, the elaborations on the fragment identifier
issues have not yet been fully aligned with the vast amount of list
discussion we had in the past regarding this topic.  I regard this
topic as not yet finally closed, and will bring my considerations
to the list a.s.a.p.

So, in order to bring forward the discussion on the draft, please
currently focus on the other open issues tagged in (editorial) Notes
inside the draft, which have not received much comments so far.
In particular, we should hopefully be able to close the NID syntax
issues discussed in section 2.1 soon, with your help!

I plan to submit another revision of this draft during the IETF 82
week, once draft submission is open again.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.