Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:37:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms
	Author(s)       : Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers.  To structure and
   organize their usage, the URN syntax specifies a hierarchy that
   divides the set of possible URNs into &quot;URN Namespaces&quot; that can be
   individually defined and managed.  URN Namespaces in particular serve
   to map existing identifier systems into the URN system and thereby
   make available generic, network-based resolution services for the
   identified documents, artifacts, and other objects (and their
   metadata).

   To actually leverage such synergetic advantage, URN Namespaces need
   to be specified in a comparable manner, and their Namespace
   Identifiers (NIDs) need to be registered with IANA, so that naming
   conflicts are avoided and implementers of services can follow a
   structured approach in support of various namespaces, guided by the
   registry to the related documents and the particularities of specific
   namespaces, as described in these namespace registration documents.

   This document serves as a guideline for authors of URN Namespace
   definition and registration documents.  It describes the essential
   content of such documents and how they shall be structured to allow
   readers familar with the scheme to quickly assess the properties of a
   specific URN Namespace.  Further, this RFC describes the process to
   be followed to get a URN Namespace registered with IANA.

   This document is a companion document to the revised URN Syntax
   specification, RFC 2141bis; it supersedes and replaces RFC 3406.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:51:45 +0100 (MEZ)

[email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource
> Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>
>   divides the set of possible URNs into "URN Namespaces" that can be

[[ speaking as the draft author/editor ]]

This is mainly an editorial update, based on received review
comments and a bit of on-list discussion.

Please see the newly amended Appendix D in the draft for the
open issues that need on-list discussion, state your opinions,
and provide replacement text snippets where deemed appropriate.

The delta information summary for this version inadvertently has
been dropped during XML debugging; it will be restituted in the
next draft version.

Best regards,
  Alfred.