Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:11:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
	Author(s)       : Juha Hakala
                          Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2011-10-26

   National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are widely used by the national
   libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
   resources such as digitized monographs and monographs pre-dating the
   emergence of the ISBN system.  Generally, NBNs may be applied to all
   kinds of resources that do not have an established (standard)
   identifier system of their own.

   A URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace for NBNs was established in
   2001, and since then, tens of millions of unique URN:NBNs have been
   assigned.  The namespace registration was performed in RFC 3188 and
   applied to the NBNs in use at that point.  No URN:NBN resolution
   services existed at the time when that RFC was written.  Since then,
   national libraries in several countries including Finland, Germany,
   Italy, and the Netherlands have established these services.

   This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
   within the updated URN framework.  A revised namespace registration
   (version 4) is included.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-01.txt

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:28:41 +0100 (MEZ)

The IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the
> Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>

[[ Speaking as a co-author and editor of this draft ]]

This updated I-D version contains numerous enhancements and
clarifications based on discussions stemming mostly from the
bibliographic community dealing with NBNs, and it also takes
into acount the outcome of the  most recent discussion on
draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01, applied accordingly.

The draft's Appendix sums up the changes in more detail.

Please take your time to review this draft and send comments.

Kind regards,
  Alfred.

P.S.: Due to technical and procedural issues, the submission
      of this draft has been delayed for several days; hopefully
      these issues will not recur for the updates in progress
      to the other WG drafts (rfc2141bis and rfc3406bis) intended
      to be out before the upcoming IETF I-D submission deadline.