Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-semantics-clarif-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:17:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : URN Semantics Clarification
        Author          : John C Klensin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-semantics-clarif-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2014-08-25

Abstract:
   Experience has shown that identifiers associated with persistent
   names have properties and requirements that may be somewhat different
   from identifiers associated with the locations of objects.  This is
   especially true when such names are expected to be stable for a very
   long time or when they identify large and complex entities.  In order
   to allow Uniform Resource Names (URNs) to evolve to meet the needs of
   the Library, Museum, Publisher, and Informational Sciences
   communities and other users, this specification separates URNs from
   the semantic constraints that many people believe are part of the
   specification for Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) specified in
   RFC 3986, updating that document accordingly.  The syntax of URNs is
   still constrained to that of RFC 3986, so generic URI parsers are
   unaffected by this change.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-semantics-clarif/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-semantics-clarif-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/