Subject: [urn] p-component, q-component, and f-component for UUID URNs?

From: MURATA Makoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 07:59:46 +0900

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if it is ok to use the p-component, q-component, and
f-component for UUID URNs.  3.3 of draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-08
disallows them unless they are explicitly allowed.

   Unless specifically defined for a particular namespace, use of these
   components is disallowed ....

RFC 4122 (A Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID) URN Namespace) does
not say anything about paths, queries, or fragment identifiers.  Thus,
they are disallowed.

However, suppose that an UUID URN references a resource whose media
type allows fragment identifiers.  Then, use of fragment identifiers
is obviously useful.  I can imagine that the p-component and
q-component may be useful for some UUIDs such as those referencing to
server-side programs.

I am sorry if I have missed something.

Regards,
Makoto

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:22:20 -0700

> I am sorry if I have missed something.

Someone would need to update RFC 4122 in order for those components to 
be allowed.

Peter