Subject: [urn] reserved NID strings (CREFs 13,14)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:41:26 -0600

Section 6.1 states the following constraint about NIDs:

    5.  It MUST NOT start with the string "xn--" or any other string
        consisting of two letters followed by two hyphens.  Those strings
        are reserved for potential representation of DNS A-labels and
        similar strings in the future [RFC5890].

CREF13 points out that IDNA reserves the entire collection of strings 
starting with two characters followed by two hyphens.

I think it would be fine to add that restriction.

CREF14 poses a question for the WG:

    Ted also points out that proposed NIDs that are, or resemble, ISO
    3166-1 alpha-3 codes may need special consideration in expert review
    becuase some countries claim ownership of them (and, at least
    implicitly, their use by anyone other than that country could be
    deceptive.  On a related and more general note, Henry inquired
    whether we need dispute resolution and/or trademark procedures.  The
    WG needs to decide whether to address those issues and, if so, how.

RFC 2141 was published in May 1997, before ISO 3166-1 (September 1997). 
Thus it's not surprising that RFC 2141 didn't account for alpha-3 codes. 
I think it's reasonable to add a constraint about that now.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/