Subject: [urn] defining URN namespaces (CREF15)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:43:18 -0600

Section 7 states:

    The material in this section is intended as guidance to both
    designers of URN namespaces and (expert) reviewers of proposed URN
    namespace registrations.  More information for the latter appears in
    Section 9.

CREF15 poses a question for the WG:

    Henry would like to see a SHOULD requirement on the definitions
    here.  The WG needs to decide whether that is necessary and/or
    desirable.

Although I'm not a big fan of procedural SHOULDs and MUSTs, I have no 
strong objections to using normative keywords here.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:50:42 +0000

> strong objections to using normative keywords here.

Actually, that comment was about section _6_.  Section 6, *URN
Namespaces*, is in many ways the core of this specification.  It
basically amounts to guidance for reviewers of URN namespace
registrations.  Perhaps this should be made explicit.  That is, what
is presented here as a _definition_ of a namespace is actually a set
of SHOULD requirements on a namespace definition.  It's not quite
the same as section 7, which is informal (and I'm happy with that)
guidance for _authors_ of such definitions.

I'm also not a 2119-or-die extremist, but some explicit statement of
the essentially normative nature of section 6 would be a good idea,
IMO.

ht
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 07:36:16 -0600

> the essentially normative nature of section 6 would be a good idea,

Thanks, I'll look at Section 6 again from that perspective and make some 
suggestions on the list.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/