Subject: [urn] NSS syntax (CREFs 2,3,4)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 19:49:55 -0600

In draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-10, we included a note about Ted 
Hardie's proposed text change for the NSS syntax.

OLD

    Depending on the rules governing a namespace, names that are valid
    in a namespace might contain characters that are not allowed in URNs
    according to the "pchar" rule (e.g., characters outside the ASCII
    range or characters that are reserved in URIs, such as "/", "?", and
    "#").  Such a string MUST be translated into a conformant NSS before
    using it as a protocol element or otherwise passing it on to other
    applications. Translation is done by percent-encoding each
    disallowed character using the method defined in Section 2.1 of
    [RFC3986].  Note that the "%" character is allowed only for the
    purpose of percent-encoding.

NEW

    Depending on the rules governing a namespace, names that are valid
    in a namespace might contain characters that are not found in the
    "pchar" production above (e.g., characters outside the ASCII range or
    characters that are reserved in URIs, such as "/", "?", and "#").
    While these may be valid names, they are not valid URNs until those
    strings are translated into a conformant NSS.  Translation is done by
    percent-encoding each disallowed character using the method defined
    in Section 2.1 of the generic URI specification [RFC3986] Note that
    the "%" character is allowed only for the purpose of percent-
    encoding.

I have no strong objections to this proposal, modulo some slight 
editorial adjustments (e.g., changing "are not found in" to "are not 
allowed by").

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:59:37 +0000

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet writes:

> ...
> ...

I prefer the new wording.  It makes clear that URNs (as opposed to
names in namespaces, which are out of scope for this document) have to
conform to the URI syntax productions.

ht
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]