Subject: [urn] case normalization (CREFs 6,7)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:08:28 -0600

Section 4.1 talks about applying "case normalization" to certain parts 
of a URN in order to determine equivalence.

Ted Hardie is right that we need to mention p-components here. (CREF7)

I suggest that we exclude p-components from the case normalization 
process, as we have done for q-components and f-components.

This means that case normalizaton would be applied only to the scheme, 
the NID, and any percent-encoded characters.

As a result, we can (I hope) avoid some of the issues pointed to by 
CREF6 (see https://github.com/MelindaShore/urnbis/issues/3), because any 
characters outside the ASCII range would be percent-encoded (not 
included "natively" as, say, UTF-8-encoded Unicode characters).

At least one question would remain: are p-components ignored or not for 
purposes of determining equivalence? Personally I would prefer that only 
the assigned-urn be used for determining equivalence.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/