Subject: [urn] percent-encoding in NSS syntax (CREFs 2,3,4)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 19:53:38 -0600

In draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-10, we included a note about Ted 
Hardie's proposed text change regarding percent-encoding of characters 
in the NSS syntax (CREFs 2, 3, and 4 in the published document).

OLD

    Depending on the rules governing a namespace, names that are valid
    in a namespace might contain characters that are not allowed in URNs
    according to the "pchar" rule (e.g., characters outside the ASCII
    range or characters that are reserved in URIs, such as "/", "?", and
    "#").  Such a string MUST be translated into a conformant NSS before
    using it as a protocol element or otherwise passing it on to other
    applications. Translation is done by percent-encoding each
    disallowed character using the method defined in Section 2.1 of
    [RFC3986].  Note that the "%" character is allowed only for the
    purpose of percent-encoding.

NEW

    Depending on the rules governing a namespace, names that are valid
    in a namespace might contain characters that are not found in the
    "pchar" production above (e.g., characters outside the ASCII range or
    characters that are reserved in URIs, such as "/", "?", and "#").
    While these may be valid names, they are not valid URNs until those
    strings are translated into a conformant NSS.  Translation is done by
    percent-encoding each disallowed character using the method defined
    in Section 2.1 of the generic URI specification [RFC3986] Note that
    the "%" character is allowed only for the purpose of percent-
    encoding.

I have no strong objections to this proposal, modulo some slight 
editorial adjustments (e.g., changing "are not found in" to "are not 
allowed by").

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/