Subject: [urn] URI interoperability considerations (CREF18)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:06:27 -0600

Section 10.1 (which registers the 'urn' URI scheme) points to Section 5 
("URI Conformance") regarding interoperability considerations with 
regard to URIs.

CREF18 suggests that more text is needed here, possibly along the lines 
of what Juha posted on January 13:

"If interoperability concerns arise during the registration of a URN 
namespace due to e.g. syntax or scope of an identifier system, they 
should be resolved in the namespace registration request."

I hesitate about this slightly, because Section 10.1 is about 
registration of the 'urn' scheme, not registration of URN namespaces. 
However, I do see that particular NIDs might be defined in such a way 
they introduce concerns about interoperability at the URI level.

It seems to me that a better way to handle this would be to add another 
section to the namespace registration template so that we can get any 
such issues out in the open during the registration process.

Then we can say something like what Juha proposes, and have a way to 
bring those discussions into the open for any particular NID.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:42:41 -0600

> such issues out in the open during the registration process.

I propose the following text to describe what a registrant needs to 
provide in the (new) "Interoperability" section of the template:

    The "Interoperability" section MUST specify any potential issues
    related to interoperability.  Examples include possible confusion
    with other URN namespaces or naming systems because of syntax (e.g.,
    percent-encoding of certain characters) or scope (e.g., overlapping
    areas of interest).

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/