Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

From: "Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 21:52:33 +0100

Hello Dale, Juha and all,

Attached is the new version with changes according to your comments.
Thanks again for the detailed hints.

The Word version can be viewed in review mode to see easily all the changes
in the document.

Please look at my comments (starting with "[JW]") below in the text
regarding the individual topics.

Please tell me if there are any open issues.

Cheers
Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: urn <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Joachim Wackerow
Sent: Dienstag, 26. Januar 2021 22:07
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hello Dale and Juha,

Thank you very much for your quick response and detailed advice. I'll look
into this and make changes accordingly.

Cheers
Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: urn <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Hakala, Juha E
Sent: Freitag, 22. Januar 2021 10:01
To: Dale R. Worley <[email-masked]>; Joachim Wackerow
<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hello, 

I agree with Dale that the document is well done overall, but contains some
glitches. IMO this registration will be very useful, since urn:ddi URNs will
make easier to understand DDI metadata and resources. I hope that other
metadata initiatives will follow DDI's example and register their own
namespaces in the future, or use urn:meta, if and when it is approved. 

The Word version of the request is complete, unlike the txt version.
[JW] Sorry, something was broken. It should be resolved now.

I have comments about agency-identifier part of the DDI NSS. The request
says: 

"The left-most label of agency-identifier conveys the top-level domain. It
SHOULD be a country code corresponding to ISO 3166 alpa-2 codes [ISO3166] or
another top-level domain."

There are no other options than ISO 3166-1 country code or something else,
so SHALL is more appropriate than SHOULD. 
[JW] Changed accordingly in the document.

The request does not describe how uniqueness of top-level domains is
ensured. There are at least two simple solutions for this. Either the
request provides a list of non-country code top-level domains, or says that
the DDI Alliance or some other organization maintains a registry of such
domains. 
[JW] Additional wording on DDI Alliance registry in the document.

I suppose non-county code top-level domains include "int" for international
organizations, or acronyms of such organizations, like FAO or UNESCO, or
other acronyms relevant in the research data context. In order to avoid
problems in the future, you may want to say that all two-letter top-level
domains are reserved for current and future ISO 3166 codes.  
[JW] Additional wording regarding TLDs and suggested sentence in the
document.

Description in 3.4.1 does not say that within agency-identifier the
top-level domain and subdomains are separated by full stop. This is shown in
the syntax in 3.4.3, but could be mentioned in 3.4.1 too. You might also
want to say in the description that full stop is not allowed within
top-level domain names or subdomain names. 
[JW] Addition wording in the document.

Registration of DDI namespace and usage of URN:DDI identifiers are separate
but interlinked issues. I took a look at your examples, and found it
interesting that US translation of PISA questionnaire is identified with URN

urn:ddi:us.mpc:PISA_QS:1

Finnish translation of the PISA questionnaire will certainly get a different
URN. But these translations could also share a URN like
urn:ddi:int.PISA_QS:1 to indicate the common semantics between Finnish and
U.S. PISA questionnaires. 
[JW] The DDI agency which publishes the metadata item provides the agency
identifier independently of the language of the content and independently of
the original author of the content. This kind of information can be
mentioned in specific metadata fields. The translation can either be in the
same document (by means of xml:lang) - this would trigger a new version - or
can be in another document where the source (including the original URN) of
the translation is mentioned.

All examples of version identifiers in the registration and linked documents
are numbers. Do you want to / need to allow other options? 
[JW]  Yes, the ABNF and the regular expression define the allowed characters
which include other options.

I suppose the actual usage of URNs in the DDI Alliance specifications is
still work in progress, since some documents have URNs which are not
compliant with this request. For instance, DDI Controlled Vocabulary for
Aggregation Method version 1.0
(https://ddialliance.org/Specification/DDI-CV/AggregationMethod_1.0.html)
has URN urn:ddi-cv:AggregationMethod:1.0. According to the registration,
version 1.1 will have correct URN, urn:ddi:int.ddi.cv:AggregationMethod:1.1.
As an aside, the link (which is not functioning)  is for version 1.0.   
[JW] Yes, this is right. The CVs must be updated according to the definition
her. The mentioned URL is corrected in the document.

Best regards, 

Juha 

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: urn <[email-masked]> Puolesta Dale R. Worley
Lähetetty: perjantai 22. tammikuuta 2021 5.51
Vastaanottaja: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>
Kopio: [email-masked]
Aihe: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

"Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Please find attached an URN namespace registration request for DDI, 
> Data Documentation Initiative (NID 'ddi').

The document draft-urn-ddi-01.txt was attached to your message, but that
document contains only sections 3.4.4 and following.
[JW] Sorry, something was broken. It should be resolved now.

Based on the draft-urn-ddi-01.pdf:

Generally, the document is quite well done.  Some specific issues are:

    ; agency-identifier is case-insensitive. See [RFC4343] section 2.
    ; For allowed characters see [RFC1035] section 2.3.1.
    ; For length restrictions see [RFC2181] section 11.
    agency-identifier = 1*255( top-level-domain
                               sub-separator ddi-authority-id
                               *(sub-separator ddi-sub-authority-id)
                             )
    top-level-domain = dns-label
    ddi-authority-id = dns-label
    ddi-sub-authority-id = dns-label

I think you want to remove the "1*255( ... )" -- that means "repeat the
stuff inside the parentheses from 1 to 255 times".  I think you're trying to
use it to mean "the total length of this string must be from 1 to 255
characters", but that's not what it means.  You would need to state a length
limit in a comment, or leave it to be implied by the reference to RFC 2181.

    dns-label = 1*63( (ALPHA / DIGIT) [
                      *(ALPHA / DIGIT / "-")
                      (ALPHA / DIGIT)
                      ] )

I think this is another example of the same issue.
[JW] "1*255" and "1*63" are removed in the document. Related comments
regarding the length limits and reference to RFC 2181 are added to the ABNF.

    resource-identifier = restricted-string
                          *(restricted-string / "/")
    version-identifier = restricted-string
                         *(restricted-string / "/")
    restricted-string = 1*( unreserved / sub-delims / "@")

I don't think the first two definitions are what you mean.  What they mean
is "a restricted-string, followed by zero or more things which are either
restricted-strings or slashes".  When you sort it all out, it is equivalent
to

    resource-identifier = ( unreserved / sub-delims / "@" )
                          *( unreserved / sub-delims / "@" / "/")

In particular, that allows two slashes to be adjacent in resource-identifier
(as long as they aren't the first two characters).

It's more likely you want:

    resource-identifier = restricted-string
                          *("/" restricted-string)
[JW] Changed accordingly in the document.

That is, a resource-identifier is a sequence of one or more
restricted-strings, separated by slashes.

Parallel changes would be needed in section 3.4.3.
[JW] Changed accordingly in the document.

In section 3.4.4 "Examples", it might be useful to note that the DDI URNs of
Represented Variables etc. are not syntactically distinct.
Although if the distinction between these categories of resources is
important in the DDI universe, you might mention how, if one possesses a DDI
URN, one would determine what category it belongs to.
[JW] Clarifying wording added in the document.

Dale

_______________________________________________
urn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn

_______________________________________________
urn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn

_______________________________________________
urn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 21:31:40 -0500

> Thanks again for the detailed hints.

The changes look good to me.

Dale

---

From: "Hakala, Juha E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 12:38:25 +0000

Hello Joachim, 

I agree with Dale - the text is OK. As far as I am concerned, it can be approved in its present form. 

Best regards, 

Juha

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: urn <[email-masked]> Puolesta Dale R. Worley
Lähetetty: tiistai 9. helmikuuta 2021 4.32
Vastaanottaja: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>
Kopio: [email-masked]
Aihe: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Dale

---

From: "Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:12:09 +0100

Hello Juha, Dale, and all,

Juha and Dale: thanks for checking and the approval.

What would be the next steps? Please give me advice.

Thanks
Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: Hakala, Juha E <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Dienstag, 9. Februar 2021 13:38
To: Dale R. Worley <[email-masked]>; Joachim Wackerow
<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: VS: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hello Joachim, 

I agree with Dale - the text is OK. As far as I am concerned, it can be
approved in its present form. 

Best regards, 

Juha

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: urn <[email-masked]> Puolesta Dale R. Worley
Lähetetty: tiistai 9. helmikuuta 2021 4.32
Vastaanottaja: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>
Kopio: [email-masked]
Aihe: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Dale

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:44:38 -0700

Hallo Joachim,

Please send us a final copy of your document so that we can extract the
template and request that IANA register the namespace.

Thanks!

Peter

---

From: "Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:35:20 +0100

Hallo Peter,

Attached is the final copy of the document. I created the document in Word with the template 2-Word-v2.0.template.dot [RFC5385]. The PDF version is saved from Word. The .txt version is created from the Word file according to the instructions in RFC5385.

Please advise me on some more questions:
- Where will the document be provided?
- Should I submit the document at https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/? 
- We plan to apply for a NAPTR registration (replacement registry.ddialliance.org) according to RFC3405. Where and when should I apply for this? Is the email list "[email-masked]" (mentioned in RFC3405) the correct option or [email-masked]?

Thanks
Joachim 

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2021 22:45
To: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hallo Joachim,

Thanks!

Peter

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:54:00 -0700

Hallo Joachim,

For the URN namespace registration, it is not necessary for you to
submit an Internet-Draft or publish an RFC (we made the procedure more
lightweight when in RFC 8141 compared to RFC 3406). Naturally, you are
free to submit an Internet-Draft if you would like readers to understand
the full context for the namespace registration; however, my plan was to
extract the registration template from your document and submit that to
the IANA directly (in my role as team lead for URN registrations).

For the NAPTR registration, indeed please follow the instructions in
Section 5 of RFC 3405.

Peter

---

From: "Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 16:20:32 +0100

Thank you Peter.

Do I understand right that it would make sense to go both paths?
You submit the extracted registration template to IANA and I submit the document as Internet-Draft. Interested readers could get the full context.

For the NAPTR registration, I will proceed according to the instructions in RFC 3405 when IANA registered the namespace.
Could you please inform me when the namespace is registered?

Thanks again
Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Donnerstag, 11. Februar 2021 21:54
To: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hallo Joachim,

Peter

---

From: "Joachim Wackerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:43:38 +0100

Hallo Peter,

The document is now submitted as Internet-Draft, see: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-urn-ddi/.

The submitted version differs to the version which I submitted on this list on 2021-02-11 only regarding the sections "Status of this Memo" and "Copyright Notice". It was necessary to change them in order to conform to the related rules.

Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: urn <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Joachim Wackerow
Sent: Freitag, 12. Februar 2021 16:21
To: 'Peter Saint-Andre' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Thank you Peter.

Thanks again
Joachim

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Donnerstag, 11. Februar 2021 21:54
To: Joachim Wackerow <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [urn] Request for the NID 'ddi'

Hallo Joachim,

Peter