Subject: Re: [urn] [IANA #1215575] GDST URN Registration Request Status Inquiry

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:53:18 -0500

"Michelle Cotton via RT" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Can someone let us know if we can move forward with this request or
> are we still waiting for consensus?

My apologies for the delays.

The status appears to be we have a consensus for approval, provided that
two minor changes are made to the registration statement.  In detail:

A majority of members of the experts group have provided their initial
reviews.  The issues that we identified that seem to be significant
are:

1) The Registrant is identified as "Global Dialogue on Seafood
Traceability" but no contact information is provided.  This should be
enlarged to include:

   Registrant:  The person or organization that has registered the NID,
      including the name and address of the registering organization, as
      well as the name and contact information (email, phone number, or
      postal address) of the designated contact person. [per RFC 8141]

2) Case sensitivity of domain/UUID.  The current text says that the
domain/UUID field is case-sensitive, but both domain names and the
character representations of UUIDs are case-insensitive.  The text
ought to be amended to describe domain/UUID as case-insensitive, or
alternatively to require that the field be all-lower-case.

3) The set of "linkable data types" as defined by the document is fixed.
But the presented data types follow a simple pattern, so we can take it
as implied that the set of linkable data types can be extended by GDST
defining a new data type "name" (e.g., "product:class", "location:loc",
"location:extension:loc", etc.) and specifying the syntax components
(from among the existing syntax components) that follow in the URN.  So
no action needs to be taken for this.

4) In principle, the use of domain names in URNs conflicts with the
long-term stability of the meaning of the URNs, as domain names can
change hands over time.  But within the context of the seafood trade,
domain names seem to be stable enough to provide adequate longevity of
identifiers.  So no action needs to be taken for this.

Given the amendments to fix issues (1) and (2), there is a consensus
to register this URN namespace.

Dale