Subject: Re: Newsgroups names with IDNA

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:59:33 GMT

>Hi all,

>When specifying internationalized newsgroup names, will other separators
>than the usual dot between newsgroup components be considered?

>RFC 3490 (Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications) mentions:

>   1) Whenever dots are used as label separators, the following
>      characters MUST be recognized as dots:  U+002E (full stop), U+3002
>      (ideographic full stop), U+FF0E (fullwidth full stop), U+FF61
>      (halfwidth ideographic full stop).

>Of course, newsgroup names can go on using only the usual full stop.
>Anyway, it would perhaps be interesting to allow other kind of full stops.
>DNS uses them (but e-mail does not allow them).

I would hope we would insist on U+002E (full stop). The idea always was to
insist on NFKC normalization, which I would expect to collapse all of
those.

BTW,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-base-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-email-00.txt

have just been published, and if we do add EAI extensions to Netnews, then
those mechanism might come in handy for downgrading the Newsgroups header
when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Nick Teint <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:12:45 +0100

Hi!

> when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

Thanks for posting this here. There's also a proposal for newsgroup names:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-newsgroup-00.txt

NT