Subject: Re: No subject given

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:31:16 GMT

>Hi!

>2010/3/24 Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>:
>> BTW,
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-base-00.txt
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-email-00.txt
>>
>> have just been published, and if we do add EAI extensions to Netnews, then
>> those mechanism might come in handy for downgrading the Newsgroups header
>> when gatewaying to non-EAI mailing lists.

>Thanks for posting this here. There's also a proposal for newsgroup names:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-teint-xidna-newsgroup-00.txt

OK, I shall look at that Tuits permitting. But current thinking is that
News should be extended with EAI (when that has settled down), so
downgrading should only be needed when gatewaying to non-EAI email, at
which point the Newsgroups header is only for information. But since
newsgroup-names are case insensitive and pretty similar in appearance to
domain names, then punycoding them should be pretty straightforward.

But so long as newsgroups names remain within the netnews environment,
vicious normalization will be essential, because they will be routed by
the simplest of octet-for-octet comparisons.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5