Subject: FYI 4

From: Ed Krol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:58:04 -0600

Sorry for being a bit late but there is one section which after some
thought I think needs to be changed.

I think the following leads people in the wrong direction since it implies there
are only a few things the net is good for not that it is good for everything.  
So could we change:

2.3. What Can I do on the Internet?

   There are a variety of applications and activities on the Internet.
   These include the ability to surf, use search tools, send mail,
   transfer programs and documents, and chat.

to something like this:

2.3. What Can I do on the Internet?

   The Internet is a general communications tool which can be used for
   whatever you want to do with it.  Compare the telephone to the Net. The
   telephone is mostly used for net access, voice and fax.  Most people use
   the Internet to surf, use search tools, send mail,  transfer programs and 
   documents, and chat.  But just like the telephone can be used by the 
   medical community to send ECGs with a special adapter, some people
   may have additional software which allows them to make other uses of the Internet.
-----
Ed Krol                       
University of Illinois     1120 DCL     1304 Springfield     Urbana IL   61801
Phone (217)333-7886             http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~krol

Caveas hominem unius libri