Subject: Re: simultaneous translation

From: [email-masked] (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:41:48 -0500

[ Charles Nesson wrote: ]

> thanks for this initiative
> 
> 
> At 07:39 PM 11/25/98 , [email-masked] wrote:
> >An informal group has begun to form, following the recent ICANN and
> >DNSO meetings here in the U.S., around the idea of creating a
> >simultaneous translation team to provide on-the-spot verbal translations
> >at important Internet conferences. The Berkman center at Harvard, which
> >hosted the ICANN meeting in Boston, as well as some participants on the
> >IFWP list such as myself, are discussing ways and means of implementing
> >this.
> >
> >I would like to coordinate with other groups that may be working on
> >similar projects, whether in the U.S., Europe, or elsewhere. If anyone
> >receiving this message knows of a group working on a similar project, I
> >would greatly appreciate hearing from them.

There is a company (I believe it is Alys Technologies?)
who have produced a real-time translation system which may
or may not be of interest to folks exploring this topic. I
understand they are licensing it for realtime web site
translation to newpapers, etc. I've no association with
them, but have met their president at business functions
in Montreal and understand they have real live customers.

				- peterd

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Peter Deutsch,                                   (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                     (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <[email-masked]>                               http://www.bunyip.com

                          Bunyip is moving!
                    As of December 15th, we'll be at:

  147 St. Paul Street. West
  Suite 200                             New telephone number: (514)285-0088
  Montreal, Quebec                      New fax number:       (514)285-4515    
  H2Y 1Z5  CANADA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------