Subject: USWG in Orlando

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:49:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

USWG will have three meeting slots in Orlando!  This is because I think we
have more stuff going on than one session can comfortably hold, but not
quite enough energy to form BOFs or working groups.  

Here is how I see them breaking down:

Monday 12/7  1:00 - 3:00
    usual USWG format

Tues 12/8  9:00 - 10:00
    FYI 4 draft discussion and feedback  (Ray Plzak will lead)
    READ THE DRAFT--this should be a focused, detailed discussion

Wed 12/9 1:00 - 3:00
    scoping out the details of presenting ietf "tutorial" or gen'l user
    info on the web

That's about as far as I've got.  At this point, let me troll for agenda
items.  

For example, I saw Susan's Project Isaac collaboration message today.  Are
other people engaged in collaborative projects as well for which they'd
like to have a couple of minutes to talk about and enlist people?  Not
sure how full the agenda will be, so I can't make any promises, but this
topic is often useful.

Let me know your ideas.

thanks,
April

-------------------------------------------------------------------
April Marine			1-650-604-0762  --> me
GLOBE Program			1-800-858-9947  --> GLOBE Help Desk
(Raytheon ITSS)			[email-masked]
NASA Ames Research Center, MS 204/14, Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
(and IETF User Services Area Director http://archimedes.nasa.gov/usv/)

---

From: Ray Plzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:51:02 -0500 (EST)

Hhow about a further discussion of the other FYIs.  For example,
the revised FYI has a reference to FYI 7 which probably needs to
be revised as well.  

Ray

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 14:05:39 -0800 (PST)

> From: Ray Plzak <[email-masked]>
> To: April Marine <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: USWG in Orlando
> 

Yes, good point.  I just today sent the following very brief ID in, based
on the work done by Phillip Nesser.  I was planning on having a discussion
of it at the Monday session.  It is not yet in the ID directories and the
name may change, but for the group, I post it here.  No new info if you've
been on the list, but it gives us a point of takeoff for review.  I am not
saying that all of these will be declared obsolete; this is just a
starting point.

April

-----

Network Working Group                               Phillip J. Nesser II
Internet Draft                                Nesser & Nesser Consulting
                                                            April Marine
                                                      NASA Ames/Raytheon
                                                           November 1998

                         Obsolete FYI Documents
                   <draft-ietf-uswg-historic-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   To view the entire list of current Internet-Drafts, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), ftp.nordu.net (Northern
   Europe), ftp.nis.garr.it (Southern Europe), munnari.oz.au (Pacific
   Rim), ftp.ietf.org (US East Coast), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   This document will expire May 1999. Distribution of this draft is
   unlimited.

Abstract

    Traditionally, the User Services Area of the IETF has been
    responsible for keeping FYI documents updated.  However, as the
    Internet has progressed and developed, it has become clear that not
    all FYIs are worth updating.  Some of the information is simply
    obsolete.  This memo documents which FYIs are considered obsolete,
    and lets users know not to trust the information they contain.

Introduction

    There is a sub-series of RFCs called For Your Information (FYI)
    documents.  These documents were intended to be kept up to date with
    information about the Internet that was designed for the end user

User Services Working Group                                      [Page 1]


<draft-ietf-uswg-historic-00.txt>                          November 1998

    audience.  The responsibility of updating these FYIs rests primarily
    with the User Services Area of the IETF.  As the Internet has
    progressed, however, it has become clear that not all FYIs are worth
    updating.  Some of the information they contain is simply obsolete.
    This memo is intended to let Internet users know that some of the
    FYI documents are considered obsolete and the information they
    contain should not be referenced or used.

List of Documents

    The following documents are obsolete:

      FYI  2: FYI on a network management tool catalog

      FYI  3: A bibliography of internetworking information

      FYI  4: FYI on Q&A to commonly asked "New Internet User" Questions

      FYI  7: FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to commonly asked
              "experienced Internet user" questions

      FYI  9: Who's Who in the Internet: Biographies of IAB, IESG
              and IRSG Members

      FYI 10: There's Gold in them thar Networks! or Searching for
              Treasure in all the Wrong Places

      FYI 12: Building a Network Information Services Infrastructure

      FYI 15: Privacy and Accuracy Issues in Network Information Center
              Databases

      FYI 16: Connecting to the Internet - What Connecting Institutions
              Should Anticipate

      FYI 19: A Short Bibliography of Introductory Internetworking
              Readings

      FYI 20: FYI on "What is the Internet?"

      FYI 21: A Survey of Advanced Usages of X.500

      FYI 23: Guide to Network Resource Tools

      FYI 25: A Status Report on Networked Information Retrieval:
              Tools and Groups

User Services Working Group                                      [Page 2]


<draft-ietf-uswg-historic-00.txt>- 3 -                     November 1998

      FYI 27: Tools for DNS debugging

More Information

    Not all FYIs are obsolete.  A complete list of FYI documents can be
    found at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/fyi/ .

Security Considerations

    This type of non-protocol document does not directly affect the
    security of the Internet.

Authors' Addresses

    Philip J. Nesser II
    Nesser & Nesser Consulting
    13501 100th Ave N.E.
    Suite 5202
    Kirkland, WA 98052

    Phone: (425) 481-4303 (voice)
           (425) 482-9721 (fax)
    Email: [email-masked]
           [email-masked]

    April Marine
    NASA Ames Research Center
    M/S 204-14
    Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000

    Phone:  (650) 604-0762
    EMail:  [email-masked]

User Services Working Group                                      [Page 3]