Subject: updating "historic" docs

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:44:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I am trying to put our discussion of "historic" FYIs into a draft
update of FYI 1 that lists the status of each current FYI.  

I have three docs that said "update" (meaning they should be updated
rather than just dropped onto the "obsolete" pile).

If we are going to update them, we need volunteers.  Anybody
interested in working on one of them?  Let me know!

I'll send out this draft soon for your review and feedback.

thanks,
April

 0007 FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to commonly asked
      "experienced Internet user" questions. G.S. Malkin, A.N. Marine, J.K.
      Reynolds. February 1991.  (Also RFC1207)

	UPDATE?

 0015 Privacy and Accuracy Issues in Network Information Center
      Databases. J. Curran, A. Marine. August 1992. (Also RFC1355)

	UPDATE OR EVOLVE

 0027 Tools for DNS debugging. A. Romao. November 1994. (Also RFC1713)

	UPDATE

---

From: Ray Plzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 07:35:40 -0500 (EST)

FYI 7 would seem to be the next logical step to FYI 4, I'll be
glad to work on it.  If the draft of FYI 4 is mature enough at
Minneapolis, there is no reason why we couldn't start FYI 7 right
away.  If you like I can prepare a draft outline.  the other two
are of interest to me, I would be glad to contribute but will not
have time to take them on if I'm doing FYI 7.

Ray

---

From: Gary Scott Malkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:34:40 -0500

You know its strange.  The vast majority think of the Internet (if
they think of it at all) as email and web.  There are no more
"experienced users," as we had originally defined them.  Last week on
the Tonight Show, Jay Leno went Jay Walking and asked people about
computers.  The number of people who did not know what PC meant
(though one said Politically Correct), what the "e" in email meant,
and what the Internet was truly astounded me.  I'm not sure there's
anything we can do about it though.

-- 

Gary Malkin                                          Cheap, Fast, Good
(978) 916-4237                                       Pick two!

---

From: "Bill Austin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:55:18 -0700

> anything we can do about it though.

For a couple of years, the Computer User Group community  (
http://www.apcug.org/  )  has been fretting about how the Internet was
going to kill off computer user groups since everyone would be able to get
whatever information they needed without ever leaving their computer and
going to a meeting or class.  Although there has been some decline in
membership and some notable problems (like the Boston Computer Society
shutdown) the need for these organizations of users helping users has
actually grown.  People who go to Best Buy and pick up a Packard Bell
machine and carry it home need lots of help.

--
Bill Austin
http://home.att.net/~wbaustin/
http://aztec.asu.edu/
http://www.mot.com/sstg/

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:28:11 -0800 (PST)

Yeah, but when you originally wrote the docs, Jay Leno would never even be
asking the question on national TV either! :-)

A.

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Gary Scott Malkin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:34:40 -0500
> From: Gary Scott Malkin <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: updating "historic" docs
> 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
April Marine			1-650-604-0762  --> me
GLOBE Program			1-800-858-9947  --> GLOBE Help Desk
(Raytheon ITSS)			[email-masked]
NASA Ames Research Center, MS 204/14, Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
(and IETF User Services Area Director http://archimedes.nasa.gov/usv/)

---

From: Michael Sondow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:32:18 -0500

Gary Scott Malkin a écrit:
> and what the Internet was truly astounded me.

Well, sure. If those people were into the Internet they wouldn't be wasting
their time sitting around at the Jay Leno show, which they could videotape
and watch at breakfast. How many were there, compared to the numbers who
were online?