Subject: new WEIRD group

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:51:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

This group is going to meet as a BOF in Minn on Tuesday.  It is the web
pages group and Chris Burke has agreed to chair.  We have some volunteers
for this already, but I wanted to post this DRAFT charter for general
feedback.  We are meeting as a BOF partly because I don't think we have
quite nailed down the scope/audience questions yet.  Who are we talking to
and what do we want to tell them?  

The mailing list noted below is set up, but posting won't be allowed for
about a week so people can join.  (And thanks to Paul Hoffman for
hosting!)

Comments?

April
 - - - - - 

Web Evangelism of Internet-Related Developments (weird)
-----------------------------------------------------------
 
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Chris Burke <[email-masked]>
 
 User Services Area Director(s): 
     April Marine <[email-masked]>
 
 User Services Area Advisor: 
     April Marine <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:  [email-masked]
     To Subscribe: [email-masked]     
         In Body:  subscribe     
     Archive:  http://www.imc.org/ietf-weird/         
 
 Description of Working Group:
 
     The WEIRD working group will develop a set of web pages that
     contain introductory information about the Internet and IETF
     activities that is of interest to an audience that consists of
     curious users, novice users, and people who support such users.
     
     Web content will be developed in collaboration with the IETF
     Secretariat using a mix of new material and material from
     existing FYI documents.  The group may also use work done in the
     various IETF areas as a basis for describing general Internet
     trends along the lines of RFC 1160.  Information will be
     presented in an online format suitable for the casual Internet
     user, combining text and illustration.
     
     Web content will be udpated time to time based on new
     Internet-related developments and input from the IESG.  In order
     to create a historic archive of the online data and to make it
     more accessible to users who may have difficulty with online
     access, the working group will capture at least one snapshot of
     the web pages and publish it as an FYI RFC.

     The WEIRD working group will operate for one year, with its final
     milestone being an assessment of its work and the decision
     regarding whether it should disband or re-charter.

Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Mar 99       Finalize milestones and update charter

   Mar 99       Finalize outline for pages and prioritize sections

   Jul 99	Formally solicit feedback regarding progress to date     

   Jul 99	Review outline and prioritization of tasks and
		revise if necessary
     
   Nov 99	Formally solicit feedback regarding progress to date
     
   Nov 99	Review outline and prioritization of tasks and
		revise if necessary

   Feb 00	Create hardcopy version and submit as ID

   Mar 00       Submit hardcopy version for RFC publication     

   Mar 00       Review progress and make decision to disband or re-charter

---

From: Michael Sondow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:08:23 -0500

April Marine a écrit:

> This group is going to meet as a BOF in Minn on Tuesday. 

> The mailing list noted below is set up, but posting won't be 
> allowed for about a week so people can join.
> 
> Comments?

> Web Evangelism of Internet-Related Developments (weird)

An amusing acronym, although I must say I don't care much for its
referents. Evangelism? (Publishing factual information is hardly
evangelism, is it?) Internet-related developments? (Are there any
others with which the USWG is concerned?) I don't have any serious
objection, of course, if people want to amuse themselves this way.
So long as the results aren't too "weird". ~:)

The decsription, goals, and milestones all sound fine.

I didn't know about the meeting in Minnesota, but wouldn't have been
able to attend in any case. I will however be collaborating as a
text editor, as I've said, if I am needed.

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:25:41 -0800 (PST)

> So long as the results aren't too "weird". ~:)

Actually, I thought it was a great acronym and wish I could take credit
for it!  I am, after all, the one who kept insisting that this WG was
going to be "weird" for the IETF! :-)

> The decsription, goals, and milestones all sound fine.

Thanks.  I am mainly interested in feedback on this point before or at
Minneapolis.  The main reason this is going as a BOF rather than a WG is
that we couldn't really get agreement on the scope, so we REALLY need to
nail that down first.  I am confident, however, that this will become a
WG.

> text editor, as I've said, if I am needed.

Thanks Michael.  I apologize for assuming everyone on the list is always
cognizant of meeting schedules and places and such. You're not the only
person to mention that you were unaware of where the next meeting was.  
General information about IETF meetings can always be found at
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/meetings.html.

April