Subject: RE: A draft for WEIRD discussion...

From: "Chris Hare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:31:31 -0500

I certainly agree also.  As a relative newcomer to this forum, and having
read a lot of RFCs over the years, I know of many situations where a picture
would have certainly helped.   I don't know much about XML yet (I have to go
read that), but I too would caution the use of HTML links in the RFC
documents themselves, unless the information is readily available on the
IETF website itself.

Many users find the fact that links get out of date quite frustrating, as I
think we all do, and while it does lead a trail of bread crumbs, will the
end users be able to follow the trail?

Chris
Security Architect
Nortel Networks

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Burke Chris-CCB007 [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Friday, February 26, 1999 2:50 PM
> To:	[email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
> Subject:	A draft for WEIRD discussion...
> 
> Hi! For those of you getting this through [email-masked], welcome to
> the
> Web Evangelism of Internet-Related Developments (WEIRD) mailing list.
> 
> I'll be hosting the WEIRD BOF at Minneapolis. My name is Chris Burke, and
> I
> help manage Motorola's participation in internet and application standards
> bodies from my office in sunny Seattle, WA.
> 
> One of our goals at the WEIRD BOF will be to decide whether to charter a
> working group. My interest in this working group is to make information
> about the IETF and the internet more accessible to typical, non-technical
> internet users. I believe that we need to move IETF content onto the Web,
> and use real line drawings and graphics, to reach this audience. For me,
> the
> open issues on the charter are about what content we use as a starting
> point. Maybe you have a different idea about the charter, and I'd like to
> hear it at the BOF to see if we can find some common ground.
> 
> To get some advance discussion going, I wrote this draft. I'd like to
> revise
> this based on your input - especially in the requirements section - and
> make
> it an official "working group draft" once the group charters. So, without
> further ado, here's <draft-burke-realusers-00.txt>, "Real Users Don't Read
> RFCs".
> 
> Have a great weekend!
> 
> Chris Burke
> 
>  <<draft-burke-realusers-00.txt>>  << File: draft-burke-realusers-00.txt
> >>