Subject: draft minutes of Minn meeting

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:00:33 -0800 (PST)

Pls send any comments soon as I am pushing the deadline already. :-)
April

----

                            Minutes of the
		   User Services Working Group (USWG)
                   IETF - Minneapolis, MN - March 1999

Recorded by April Marine.

The heart of the USWG agenda consisted of the following:

 	o  USV Area Update
	o  TERENA Update
	o  Update of FYI 1
               <draft-ietf-uswg-fyi1-00.txt>
	o  Update of FYI 4
               <draft-ietf-uswg-fyi4-01.txt>

USV Area Update

April Marine provided an overview and update of activities in the Area
as a whole.  

The SSH group has shut down after successfully publishing the User's
Security Handbook (RFC 2504, FYI 34).

The RUN working group has its "Don't Spew" document before the IESG.
This is draft-ietf-run-spew-08.txt that advises people not to spam; it
is being revised to address some IESG comments.  It has another
document on its charter dealing with responsible advertising on the
net, which just enlisted some new editors, so should be moving ahead.

USV has two BOFs meeting in Minneapolis, which were introduced.  The
WEIRD BOF deals with putting new user/IETF newbie information up on
the web.  The FYIUP group will be updating some FYI documents.

TERENA Update

Yuri Demchenko provided an update regarding the activities of TERENA,
the Trans-European Research and Education Networking Association.  He
gave highlights of three activities.

 1. A new Info-gateway Handbook is available at http://www.desire.org/

 2. He outlined the schedule for a revision of the GNRT (Guide to
    Network Resource Tools).  Writing should be finished April 15; the
    review panel should be done by April 30; and it should be in
    bookshops in September.  This is a document that is available
    online and published by Addison Wesley Longman.  New features
    include sections on search engines and web publishing.

 3. The CHIP pilot project may evolve into a more permanent service.
    The project aims to provide easy access to information about
    current R&D projects on Internet technologies and services.  The
    current database contains information about more than 130
    projects.  In order to ascertain whether this should become a more
    operational information service, CHIP is taking a survey.  The
    CHIP pages are available at http://www.terena.nl/chip/ and the
    questionnaire is available at http://www.terena.nl/chip/chip-q.html.

Update of FYI 1

This was a discussion of draft-ietf-uswg-fyi1-00.txt, which itself was
an update to a previous draft that would explain which FYI documents
were considered out of date.  Most of the discussion regarding the
text of the document dated from Orlando, so there was little
controversy at this meeting.  This doc is essentially ready at this
level, but should be held to move forward with the update of FYI 4.

Update of FYI 4

Ray Plzak led the discussion of the latest draft of FYI 4.  This was a
substantive discussion of the draft, which has progressed
significantly.  Suggestions were made to re-order some sections of the
document and volunteers were volunteered to rewrite some sections.
These included: April rewrite 2.3, Phil to rewrite 2.4, Gary to add a
section regarding addresses and URLs and Ray to add references.  There
were other comments on wording and such.  The following schedule was
worked out:

	April 9: rewrites, new paragraphs and comments to the list
 	April 16: comments on above to list
	May 7: Ray to issue a new ID
	May 21: comments to list on new draft
	and hopefully from there up to the IESG for review...

Sitting here writing the minutes one day before they are due and one
week before the first date on this list, this now seems rather
ambitious. However, I think we have divided the work nicely so that
small chunks were handed out and these goals can be met.

---

From: Michael Sondow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:23:15 -0500

>  1. A new Info-gateway Handbook is available at http://www.desire.org/

www.desire.org doesn't respond. It doesn't ping, either.

>     Network Resource Tools)... it should be in
>     bookshops in September.

That's good news. The GNRT is great. I tell everyone to use it, and
they all thank me. The GNRT gets my vote for "My Favorite Website".

> In order to ascertain whether this should become a more
>     operational information service, CHIP is taking a survey.

Excellent project! They certainly should make it more inclusive, and
maintain it on a more active basis. There are very few, if any,
places to go on the web to get organized descriptions about and
links to current Internet projects. I've found useful information
and pointers from the CHIP site, as from all the TERENA sites, and I
hope they will continue and expand them.

> Update of FYI 4
I think we have divided the work nicely so that
> small chunks were handed out and these goals can be met.

If the updates and rewrites are posted, I'll be happy to comment on
them.