Subject: finally...comments to fyi4 draft

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:12:37 -0700 (PDT)

OK, mea culpa, apologies for being a week late!!!

April
----------------------------

>Rather late comments on:

draft-ietf-uswg-fyi4-01.txt  February 1999

   General notes: I think I included both the tweaks to sections I was
   supposed to tweak and trivial typo/punctuation feedback here.  I
   may have tweaked sections others were already assigned to tweak.
   Hope that isn't too confusing.  Hope I didn't miss anything *I* was
   supposed to tweak either.

   Also, we had some discussion about re-ordering the sections.  Who
   kept that straight?  I sure got confused.  The section numbers
   below are the old ones.  I have notes re various suggested
   re-orderings, but not sure they are authoritative.  It went
   something like:

     - what can I do on the net?
     - what's my address? (from Gary)
     - are there any rules?
     - how does it work?
     - who runs it?

    I could be wrong.

> My comments preceded by >

          Answers to Commonly AskedNew Internet User Questions
> check spacing               ^^^^^^^^

Status of this Memo

> put in new ID boilerplate (I think you already have)

1. Acknowledgements

   The following people deserve thanks for their help and contributions
   to this FYI Q/A:  Chris Burke (Motorola), John Curran (BBN Planet),
   Albert Lunde (NWU), and April Marine (NASA).

> April Marine (Internet Engines, Inc)  ^^^^^^                                  

2. Questions About the Internet

2.1. What is the Internet?

   People use computers to do a variety of things.  By connecting these
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> change to "people use computers to accomplish a wide assortment of tasks."

   computers together they engage in activities that allow them to do a
   variety of things, such as exchange ideas and information. A
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  (reason for above change)

   connected group of computers is known as a network.  Some computers
   are connected directly to the network while others (primarily ones in
   homes) are connected via a telephone line and a communication device
> "(primarily those in homes)"

2.2. What Can I do on the Internet?

   There are a large variety of activities that users can do on the
>        ^^^ "are" --> "is"

   Internet.  These activities include surfing, searching, sending mail,
   transfering programs and documents, chatting, and playing games.

> use subheads in this section, starting here, e.g.:

> Surfing

   E-mail is another very popular activity.  It is very similar to

   familiar with email netiquette and junk email also known as spam.  By
>  ...and junk email (also known as "spam").  By

   the same token uses should take care that they aren't the source of
>   the same token, users should take care that they aren't the source of
>                 ^    ^

   junk mail.  See FYI 28 [ ] for more information on netiquette and RFC
   nnnn and RFC nnnn [ ] for more informatino about electronic junk
>                                        ^^^^information
> must get that "spew" doc out asap!  too many dependencies

   mail.  Many people also participate in mailing lists.  For more
   information about this see FYI 7 [ ].
> DELETE sentence that references to FYI 7.***************

   Programs and documents are transferred in several ways.  The most

   web browser or the file transfer protocol (FTP).  This enables users
> change "This" to "Such transfers enable users..."
   to obtain a variety of programs, documents, audio files, and video
   files.  For more detailed information about this topic see FYI 7 [ ].
> DELETE last sentence that referenced FYI 7 *****************

   Another activity is known aschat.  It takes place between one or more
>                            ^^^^^^   ^^ "It" --> "Chat takes place"...
   persons who are on the Internet. Chatting is very similar to going to

   written, by the others who can respond to it in turn.  First time
   chatters should be aware that just as at a party some people never
   say anything so there may be people in the room who are just

>   be aware that, just as at a party where some people never
>                                     ^^^^^
>   say anything, so there may be people in the room who are just
> (the above is basically commas)

   listening.  Also just like a party some people may portray themselves
>   Also, just like a party, some people may portray themselves
> more commas

2.3. How Does the Internet Work?

   Each of the activities described in paragraph 2.2 requires an
   exchange of information.  At each end there is a computer program
   known as an application which is being used to perform the activity
   whether it is surfing, chatting, mailing, etc.  These ends are known
   as end users.  Just as people have street addresses, end users have
   Internet addresses.  End users take turns sending and receiving
   information.  When an end user is sending information it is known as
   the source and when it is receiving information it is known as the
   destination.  Between the source and destination are those
   specialized computers at network inter-connection points known as
   routers.

>   Each of the activities mentioned in the section describing what one
>   can do on the Internet requires that computers exchange
>   information.  Computers take turns sending and receiving
>   information.  When a computer is sending information, it is known
>   as the "source"; when it is receiving information, it is known as
>   the "destination."  (The same computer can be both a source and
>   destination at different times.  This is especially clear when one
>   thinks of sending and receiving email.)  
>
>   Every computer on the Internet has a unique Internet "address" that
>   identifies it from among the millions of computers.  The Internet
>   has specialized computers between the source and destination
>   located at network inter-connection points.  These computers are
>   known as "routers."  The routers understand how to use a computer's
>   address to appropriately point information from one computer to
>   another over the Internet.
>
>   This simplified explanation gives the background for understanding
>   the following step-by-step representation of how information moves
>   from one place to another along the Internet.

>(most of the following unchanged:)
   In an exchange of information the following occurs:

     *  The source finds the address of the destination.

     *  The source contacts the destination and says "hello".

     *  The destination responds back with a "hello" of its own.

     *  The source tells the destination that it has information to
     send.

     *  The destination tells the source that it is ready to receive the
     information.

     *  The source breaks the information into small pieces called
     packets and sends each packet on its way to the destination.

     *  The routers guide each packet to the destination.

     *  The destination takes the packets and puts them back together to
     form the information.

     *  The destination tells the source that it has received the
     information and asks the source if it has anything more to send.

     *  If the source says no the destination will say "good bye" unless
     it has something to send back.  If it does it will break the
     information into packets and send them.

>commas
>     *  If the source says no, the destination will say "good bye" unless
>     it has something to send back.  If it does, it will break the
>     information into packets and send them.

     *  Once both sides are done "talking" they say both say "good
     bye".

>   For more details about how the Internet works see FYI 7 [ ].
>** DELETE this reference**************

   For more details about how the Internet works see FYI 7 [ ].
> DELETE reference to FYI 7******************

>   Clearly our simplified introduction to this section did not exlpain
>   many steps in this process, such as how a computer discovers the
>   address of another computer or how packets are divided and
>   reassembled.  Fortunately, these are specifics that people using
>   the Internet never really need to deal with!   

2.4  Who Runs the Internet?

> I think the WG had suggestions here.  Something like changing the opening to:
> No one.  The Internet is a cooperative effort among...

   the ISPs, software companies, volunteer
   organizations, and a few facilities that tie the whole thing
   together.  The ISPs and software companies are completely independent
   and most of them compete with each other.  The ISPs agree to connect
   to each other and transmit information following an established set
   of rules (protocols).  The software companies agree to manufacture
   programs (such as email or web browsers) that also follow protocols.
   There are other organizations that keep things straight.
   Some assign Intenet addresses in much the same manner as telphone
>   numbers are assigned, others keep track of names used by
>   Internet users and groups, and a large volunteer organization
>   called the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) develops the
>   protocols computers follow to make network communications succeed.
>** note deletions in the middle above***

2.5. Are There Any Rules of Behavior?

   In general common sense, courtesy, and decency govern good Internet
>   In general, common sense, courtesy, and decency govern good Internet
>comma        ^

   check the water temperature before jumping in the pool.  Users should
   use the same precautions before joining in an activity.
>   use the same precautions before joining in any online activity.
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^

   E-mail can lead to misunderstandings between people.  Users should
> Add transition: "E-mail in particular can lead to misunderstandings...."

   users of the Internet have developed cues to put in the text.  Text
   techniques such as capitalization and symbols known as emoticons
   (also called "smilies") are used.  Additionally, acronyms have
   evolved over time (for example FYI - For More Information).  More
>   (also called "smilies") are used.  A typical smiley lookes like this  :-)
>  Additionally, acronyms have
>   evolved over time (for example IMHO - In My Humble Opinion).  More

   information about this can be found by searching.  Use keywords like
   "netiquette", "emoticon", or "email" with your search engine to find
>   "netiquette" and "emoticon" with your search engine to find

   Users should also be aware that their particular programs such as
   word processors or e-mail might produce documents and messages that
   are not readable by everyone.  You should make sure that the intended

>  are not readable by everyone. Very often, a reader must have the
>  same program in which a document was created in order to read the
>  document sent to him.  So, before sending an attached document, it
>  is a good idea to make sure beforehand that your read has the
>  capability of reading what you are sending.  If in doubt, send a
>  text (ascii) version of the file.

3. Security Considerations

   The question "is the Internet secure?" can be a confusing one for a
   new user, who will hear many assurances that it is secure and many
>  change "new user" to "people"

   scary stories saying it is not secure.  There are a few basic rules
   of thumb to remember that will address most concerns.

   First, users should make it a rule never to share their account
>   First, everyone should make it a rule never to share  account

   passwords with anyone.  Learning a password is the easiest way for
   someone to break into a system.  Possibly a user may think that their
>  someone to break into a system.   "Most people feel that their"
   files are not that interesting to anyone, but someone may be able to
   get a foothold from one innocuous account to other places in the same
   computer system.  Many good security practices for users can be found
   in the Users Security Handbook [ ].
>         ^                       [RFC 2504, FYI 34]

   Second, understand that there are means for people to track the
   information a user sends via email, the files one downloads, and the
   sites visited on the web.  People with legitimate system priviledges
   have access to information that a user may prefer to keep private.
   
>   sites visited on the web.  People with legitimate system priviledges
> ....delete "People with..." and do "The system administrators who
>   oversee a sites' computers require access to information a user may
>   think is secret.

   No responsible site administrator or network engineer will violate
   users' privacy out of personal curiousity; however, people with
   legitimate system or network priviledges have access to information
   about users.  If someone less legitimate gains such priviledges,
>   change to:"...personal curiousity." DELETE from "however," to "about users."
>  "If someone less legitimate gets access to an administrator's special account,

   possibly by attaining illegal access to a system, they also will have
   access to this information.  This situation is not a problem for most
   people, but it should be understood that things like email sent a
   year ago or a log of users web pages browsed may still exist in some
   system's backup archive tape and can be easily resurrected and
   published widely.