Subject: USWG minutes

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:53:18 -0700 (PDT)

Oy, very late--apologies!

April

-----------

Minutes of the User Services Working Group (USWG) 
IETF - Oslo, Norway - July 1999

Recorded by April Marine.

The USWG agenda consisted of the following:

    - USV Area Update 
    - Pending work overview:
      - FYI 1 update status
      - FYI 17 "Tao of IETF" doc
    - FYI 7 update discussion

USV Area Update:

  April Marine provided the usual overview of what has been going on
  in the Area as a whole.  The "Don't Spew" anti-spam doc from the RUN
  working group was passed by the IESG and received became RFC 2635,
  FYI 35.

  The FYI 4 update was also passed, but had not yet received an RFC
  number at the time of the meeting.

  The WEIRD group, which had met as a BOF in Minneapolis, was approved
  as a WG and had its first meeting as such in Oslo.

  The FYIUP (FYI Updates) group, which had also met as a BOF in Minn.,
  was approved as a WG but with only one doc on its agenda, which was
  the update of FYI 7.  There was some discussion on the list as to
  whether it was worth spinning up a new WG for just this doc, since
  its companion, FYI 4, was successfully updated in USWG.  It was
  decided to take FYI 7 into USWG (since FYI 4 has been completed) and
  not to spin up the new WG.

Pending work overview:

  The FYI 1 update has been pending for awhile.  It was held up
  waiting for FYI 4 to be published, which has been done.  But FYI 1
  also states that different documents will or won't be updated and
  that is iffy for at least one document, so we discussed that a bit.
  The suggestion was simply to note whether a document is out of date
  and not to worry about any statement of intent to update.  Such
  changes can be noted in future iterations of the FYI.  That is
  April's action.

  FYI 17 is the "Tao of the IETF," which was never really written
  within a WG, but is an FYI and does need updating.  One of the
  questions was which WG should do the work?  It seemed to fit fine
  into both WEIRD and USWG.  Or a new WG could be spun up or it could
  be incorporated into FYIUP.  Since the work did overlap a few
  groups, we decided to keep it in USWG for now.  Volunteers were
  Chris, Gary, Steve and April.

FYI 7 discussion:

  The bulk of the meeting was spent in detailed discussion of how to
  update FYI 7.  FYI 7 is the "Experienced Internet User FAQ".  Ray
  Plzak lead the discussion and will act as chief editor.  The goals
  are to keep the document as brief as possible with the questions
  included as broad as possible.  Specific sections and questions were
  discussed.  Ray and April will come up with an outline and ask for
  help with specific sections.