Subject: Calcari info

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:51:42 -0700 (PDT)

Some people have mentioned that the URL I sent did not actually have
Susan's information, so here it the same background sent out by her
brother.

(Forgive the additional email for those who didn't know Susan.)

From: Greg Calcari <[email-masked]>
Subject: Sad News

Dear Friends,
I am sorry to bring you the sad news that after a gallant battle with
breast cancer, my sister Susan passed away on Sunday July 8, 2001 in
the loving embrace of her family.  All of you knew professionally or
personally, but may not have been aware of the many facets of her
life.

Susan was born on June 25th, 1956 in Iron Mountain, Michigan -- the
daughter of Robert and Carol (Oien) Calcari.  She graduated near the
top of Iron Mountain High School's class of 1974 and went on to
graduate with honors from Michigan Technological University in 1978.

Susan was the founder and executive director of the University of
Wisconsin - Madison's Internet Scout Project, which publishes the
Scout Report, one of the Internet's longest-running and most
respected publications, with a readership of more than 250,000
researchers, educators, and business professionals worldwide.

Highlights of her professional career include being interviewed on
Good Morning America, being the subject of a New York Times article,
and being quoted by many national publications, including the Wall
Street Journal and USA Today.  She was also co-author of a successful
book about the Internet.

Susie loved attending live blues, jazz, and rock concerts, was an
ardent fan of the Green Bay Packers, and was an avid movie buff.  She
cherished her warm relationships with her extended family, work
colleagues and her many close friends, some living close to her, some
across the country and around the world.

She will be sadly missed by her parents, her sister Linda and of
course myself, my wife Janet, and Susie's beloved "punkin girls" --
our daughters Andrea and Lauren, as well as many loving aunts,
uncles, cousins, and friends.

Visitation will be held Friday, July 13th from 11am to 1:30pm at the
Erickson-Rochon and Nash funeral home of Iron Mountain.  A time of
sharing will be held at 12:30pm, and funeral services will follow at
2pm at St. Mary and St. Joseph Catholic Church.  Father Daniel Zaloga
will offer the mass of Christian burial at Cemetery Park in Iron
Mountain.  Pall bearers will be Guy Forstrom, Gary Forstrom, Mike
Kopp, John Kopp, Steve Calcari, and Brett Calcari.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to "Iron Mountain High
School - Susan Calcari Scholarship Trust", Iron Mountain High School,
300 West "B" St, Iron Mountain, MI 49801.

We are collecting remembrances from colleagues, friends and family
and would love to get stories or recollections you have from your
time spent (in person or virtually) with Susie.  You can send these
emails to me ([email-masked]) or to Rachael Bower
([email-masked]).

Susan was a special person and touched so many lives -- thank you for
all of your prayers and support.

Sincerely,
Greg Calcari

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rachael Bower
Director

Internet Scout Project
http://scout.cs.wisc.edu
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin -- Madison
1210 West Dayton Street
Madison, WI  53706

[email-masked]
608-262-6587 (phone)
608-265-9296 (fax)
SURF SMARTER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~