Subject: [Uta] wrt draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 16:54:19 -0800

Hi Alexey,

I was taking a look at wrt draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs and noted that it 
says this in Section 3..

    [...]
                                        Matching is performed according
    to the rules specified in Section 6 of [RFC6125], including the
    relative order of matching of different identifier types,
    "certificate pinning" and the procedure on failure to match.  The
    following inputs are used by the verification procedure used in
    [RFC6125]:

    [...]

    The rules and guidelines defined in [RFC6125] apply to an email
    server certificate, with the following supplemental rules:

    [...various supplemental rules to add to those defined in RFC6125.. ]

..thus I am curious as to why draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs does not 
officially update RFC6125 -- should it not (in addition to updating four 
other RFCs as it notes) ?

thanks, HTH,

=JeffH

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 10:49:02 +0000

Hi Jeff,

On 02/02/2016 00:54, =JeffH wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
> 
> I was taking a look at wrt draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs and noted that
> it says this in Section 3..
> 
>    [...]

"Supplemental rules" are inputs to RFC 6125 procedure (such as use of
wildcards, use of CN-ID, etc.). I don't think the document updates RFC
6125. If you think something better than "supplemental rules" should be
used in this context, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Alexey