Subject: [Uta] I-D Action: draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 23:47:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Using TLS in Applications WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Use of TLS for Email Submission and Access
        Authors         : Loganaden Velvindron
                          Stephen Farrell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-02.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2019-09-10

Abstract:
   This specification updates current recommendation for the use of
   Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol to provide confidentiality of
   email between a Mail User Agent (MUA) and a Mail Submission Server or
   Mail Access Server.  This document updates RFC8314.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 12:29:28 -0400

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 2:47 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 

Cut/paste error in the last OLD/NEW pair in section 3, the
OLD and NEW texts are the same, but real OLD text in RFC8314
has TLS 1.1:

   OLD:  [s/TLS version 1.2/TLS version 1.1/]

   " The default minimum expected level of confidentiality for all new
   accounts MUST require successful validation of the server's
   certificate and SHOULD require negotiation of TLS version 1.2 or
   greater.  (Future revisions to this specification may raise these
   requirements or impose additional requirements to address newly
   discovered weaknesses in protocols or cryptographic algorithms.  "

   NEW:

   " The default minimum expected level of confidentiality for all new
   accounts MUST require successful validation of the server's
   certificate and SHOULD require negotiation of TLS version 1.2 or
   greater.  (Future revisions to this specification may raise these
   requirements or impose additional requirements to address newly
   discovered weaknesses in protocols or cryptographic algorithms.  "

-- 
	Viktor.